Menu

x-post: Need all your tips and advice on scholarship search

Hi ladies!

There is a possibility that I might suddenly have to put together info on searching for and applying for scholarships for our homeschool group and present that in 3 weeks. So... Can you all help me by posting any and all advice, tips, past experience, information, etc. that I could compile into a "scholarship how-to" session for high school homeschool moms? I would SO appreciate that!

Thanks in advance!

my dh went to school on FULL scholarships. He picked up scholarships from everywhere. Walmart, the bank his parents used. the small department store he worked for. Even though the amounts were small, they added up. My brothers got scholarships because they are legally blind. My friend's son got one because he had red hair! There are scholarships by women's leagues and clubs for kids in the county in which you live. Don't forget mom and dad's employer or employment type. There are lots of scholarships for kids of military personnel, firemen, or police officers.

Search on google for your state+scholarship, your major+scholarship, what makes you unique+scholarship, your county+scholarship, your church denomination+scholarship. There's even some for atheists or agnostics. etc.

Additionally, having a fabulous essay is SO SO SO important for scholarships. Big time. Don't underestimate the importance of having an interesting, grammatically correct essay that will set you apart from the other applicants.

Additionally, having a fabulous essay is SO SO SO important for scholarships. Big time. Don't underestimate the importance of having an interesting, grammatically correct essay that will set you apart from the other applicants.

This, 100%.

I volunteer on a scholarship selection committee, and initially I was shocked at the number of essays written with poor grammar, atrocious spelling, and even text talk ("u" for "you," for example :thumbdown: ).

Not only should an essay be interesting and grammatically correct, it should also reflect the student's experiences and interests, particularly if the student is clear about the career or field they'd like to pursue. Many scholarships offer additional selection criteria to selection committees, including "demonstrates leadership and community involvement" or "emphasis on creativity" or "shows passion for ----- field" (usually a scholarship looking for applicants in a particular field, like medicine or education).

Cat