Menu

How Right Start teaches multiplication

Grantmom

I have read on this forum that a lot of people like the way that Right Start teaches multiplication, and that they wait until after multiplication before switching to other curricula. Can anyone give me the brief run down on how they teach you to multiply? Do they still teach the traditional long hand way of doing a mulit-digit multiplication problem, like 367 x 128? Or do they teach something different, like they way they teach you to go from left to right when doing addition?

Can anyone just give me a brief few sentences on what they do?

Many thanks!

I can only half help you because we are about 2/3 of the way through RS Level C and we aren't to multiplication problems that large yet.

What I can tell you is that RS has had my ds skip counting by specific numbers for months now (3s to 30, 6s to 60, etc.) and playing multiplication memory games. So even though he hasn't officially been taught multiplication, he can multiply every number up to 9 by 2 and by 3 easily and almost automatically. And with a little thought, he can figure out any problem up to 9 x 9.

By focusing on skip counting, RS has made multiplication easy and not scary so far. We just figured out ds is dyslexic, and math is supposed to be tough for dyslexic kids b/c of so much memorization. But my son loves RightStart Math! I think it is because he has learned his math facts by playing the games instead of being forced to sit and focus on memorizing.

Whoops--this got a little off topic. Sorry. I hope this helps a little at least!

Christina

I'll try answering the rest of your question. I completely agree with Christina. By the time one digit multiplication is introduced, the child naturally understands it to be a quick way to add the same number, or skip count, several times over. By the time they introduce the multiplication algorithm, the student has practiced annexing zeros to the end of an answer, i.e. 2 x 10 = 20 the quick way is to multiply 2 x 1 and then annex a zero, making it 20, therefore putting the answer in its proper place.

The multiplication algorithm is introduced in RS-D lesson 95. It is from right to left. Multiplying by the ones, then by the tens, etc. Each place value gets it own row. Add the rows together to get your answer. Below I have as an example in which you are actually teaching the student to first multiply by 4 and then by 30 (quick multiply by 3 and then annex 1 zero to put the answer in the tens place), each getting its own row, and then adding the two rows together for your final answer.

Hopefully I've answered some of your question. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

I'll try answering the rest of your question. I completely agree with Christina. By the time one digit multiplication is introduced, the child naturally understands it to be a quick way to add the same number, or skip count, several times over. By the time they introduce the multiplication algorithm, the student has practiced annexing zeros to the end of an answer, i.e. 2 x 10 = 20 the quick way is to multiply 2 x 1 and then annex a zero, making it 20, therefore putting the answer in its proper place.

The multiplication algorithm is introduced in RS-D lesson 95. It is from right to left. Multiplying by the ones, then by the tens, etc. Each place value gets it own row. Add the rows together to get your answer. Below I have as an example in which you are actually teaching the student to first multiply by 4 and then by 30 (quick multiply by 3 and then annex 1 zero to put the answer in the tens place), each getting its own row, and then adding the two rows together for your final answer.

Hopefully I've answered some of your question. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Before the algorithm is introduced, RS has the student adding and multiplying in tandem. For example, they have the student set up 365x4 like this:

-----

The student is taught to look at the left column and instead of performing 5+5+5+5, they are supposed to do 5x4. Once this is understood, they calculate multi-digit numbers x one digit numbers without writing out the addition problem.

Then they are taught to break down multi-digit multiplication like this: 20x20=20x2x10

Then they are taught that 20x22 = 20x2 + 20x2x10. This is taught by physically completing two separate multiplication problems and then combining them into one problem. The algorithm is then introduced more as a shortcut. They are led to the algorithm so they understand it before they see it.

That is the standard algorithm I was taught 35 odd years ago.

Yes, RS uses the tried and true algorithm. What the OP asked about, and what we are trying to condense into a few sentences is HOW multiplication is taught - the path to the algorithm. The path is not the same as I was taught with years ago. I was given the algorithm and taught how to complete problems procedurally. RS leads the student to the algorithm so that the student, in essence, discovers the algorithm.

My 8yo is in the midst of learning multi-digit multiplication right now. He can calculate 20x22, but he doesn't use the algorithm to do it yet.