Menu

Swollen lymph node in dd...

Joker

Oldest dd, 13, has a swollen node on the side of her neck - almost in the middle of the right side. The dr. said he thought it would go away within two weeks. We're coming up on two weeks and it is unchanged. He said he wants to do a 2 week course of antibiotics next. She hasn't had anything other than allergy and asthma medication for several years now. She has zero symptoms of being ill, and I'm wondering what in the world could cause it. Any ideas? Anyone else had it happen and antibiotics cleared it up?

Most likely the node itself is infected. A course of antibiotics should get rid of it, or at least shrink it. Don't play with it, that will inhibit its shrinking. If it is tender, mobile, not "stuck" to any tissue around it, and smooth, it's most likely normal. Kids get swollen lymph nodes all the time, especially in the neck area. They are usually no big deal. If it doesn't respond to antibiotics, and doctor thinks any further testing is necessary, a blood panel will be ordered before they decide to biopsy.

Thanks! Quick question, though. The dr. said if it's still there after antibiotics he will do a CT scan. He didn't mention blood work first. Should I ask for the blood work first or could there be a good reason to do a scan first?

The CT scan would be more definitive. But it's a more expensive test, so doctors don't usually order it first. But if that's what he recommends, that's what I'd do.