Menu

AO users -

Abbeygurl4

How do you decide which year to start your child? My dd just turned 10 and I am looking at Year 3 or Year 4.

What have been some of your favorite books in those years? Have you added or substituted any books?

Any good websites that were helpful for using CM/AO?

How do you decide which year to start your child? My dd just turned 10 and I am looking at Year 3 or Year 4.

What have been some of your favorite books in those years? Have you added or substituted any books?

Any good websites that were helpful for using CM/AO?

My decision as to which year to start was easy for me because my dd is only 7, but I have heard of others using the history or complexity of the books as a gaug.

I have heard of many folks substituting books. We do FIAR in addition to AO so we add but totally unrelated.

The AO site, itself, has great info on the CM method. It even has her books to read. There is also an AO forum you may be interested in.

I started DD8 in Y3.5 because it was unrelated to history. We have definitely substituted some books for others in earlier years and a few from later. We are saving Men of Iron for when we do Medieval history, and The Jungle Book for when we do Zoology. DD has really enjoyed most everything we've read so far! I keep trying to get books for the Kindle, but she would rather have a book in her hand, so we have borrowed/bought several.

My favorite books are actually on the 3.5 list: Bambi, Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, At the Back of the North Wind and English Fairy Tales. We are reading some of the Year 3 books this year. I chose not to read the original Pilgrim's Progress, and read an adaptation by Geraldine McCaughrean that DD LOVED. She insisted on keeping the book in her room when it was finished being used for schoolwork. We're finishing The Princess and the Goblin, which has been much enjoyed, and will be reading The Jungle Book and Children of the New Forest later in the year. We have been listening to Our Island Story on CD and it has gone much better than when I was trying to read it aloud. For poetry, I'm reading aloud from Favorite Poems Old and New instead of studying a specific poet.

We don't use most of the science or religiously-themed books because I prefer to have secular school materials.

For a 10 year old, I'd recommend doing Year 4, since that starts US history (though I really hate the book they use as a spine - it's pretty racist/elitist). If she needs time before diving into material of that complexity, I'd use Year 3.5.

Amazon sells the CD but it is quite expensive. They have the Audible edition for $14.00. It was well worth it! I find myself stopping my work to listen when it's playing.

http://www.amazon.co...ur island story

ETA: The Audible price is showing as the member price. I'm not sure how much it is if you're not a member.

Where did you purchase the CD?