Menu

Saxon math- how long should each lesson take and other questions

JennyCook

DD10 has been homeschooling for about a month now. I started her in the 6/5 book, had her take the tests till I could tell she wasn't doing as well and we started in on lessons. In school she was top of her class in math, always doing very well. We are spending about an hour a day on math. She reads through the lessons, does the problems, I check it and we fix the ones she missed. I haven't had her take any more of the tests because I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how well she knows the concepts since I check her work everyday. But after doing some reading in this forum I'm wondering if I should just have her do the lessons....not stress so much about checking and fixing the missed problems and do the tests and use that to make sure she is getting it. Thoughts? How long should math be taking us?

I really would like her to start pre algebra in 6th grade. She does well at math and I feel like one of the perks of homeschooling is that I CAN move her along. She doesn't have to wait for the whole class to move forward with her. But I'm struggling with how to do that. I want her to have the foundation she needs. So if I stick with Saxon, how do I do that? Is it possible to get there by this fall from where she is at right now?

I've heard a lot of people don't like Saxon math because its boring, long, repetitive etc. I'm all for a fun program of course...but math is math, right? Do different books/programs really make that big of difference? I'm super new to homeschooling. Any thoughts on this? I'd love a more "fun" approach, especially since she may be doing a lot of math to reach the goal. Is there something better out there? If so, how do I make the switch? If I switch I want to finish out the book we are on then switch. Is that more hassle than it is worth? She isn't loving homeschooling math like I thought she would. But maybe it's because there aren't other kids to compare herself to so she doesn't get the satisfaction of finishing first etc. Or maybe Saxon math isn't for her and she wants something different....?

Honestly, I would stick with correcting the problem sets to male sure she understands the material. I also think having a test every 4 lessons or so is important. Our child uses Saxon Algebra 1 in school and it takes him about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes or so. I do not think an an hour or so is unreasonable since if your child was in school, they would spend an hour and then have homework on top of that. There videos you can use to supplement such as Art Reed. You could also split the problem set up by doing 15 problems then do something else and then the last 15 problems later that day.

I'm all for a fun program of course...but math is math, right?

No, not really.

If you are interested in shifting things up, I would try to look at samples from different curricula to see which ones your dd connects with. Most of them have enough of a sample posted online for you to get a feeling of how they are like.

I wouldn't skip correcting your dd's problems, and it might seem bad but I also wouldn't skip tests. Tests usually are to see whether the material is sticking in their head long enough for long-term retention rather than short-term.

I wouldn't fixate on 'pre-algebra in 6th grade' but rather 'allowing dd to go at the speed she is ready to.' If she is making more than 1 error per problem set, I really wouldn't jump levels. Instead, I would steadily work through the summers to allow her to progress (think about it -- the school year usually has 36 weeks -- if a student gets an extra 12 weeks of study every summer, they move forward at least an extra third of a grade per year -- often more as they can skip review at the beginning of next year's book.)

If you decide to stick with Saxon, I would finish 6/5, then test through 7/6 the same way you tested through 6/5, rather than skip (iirc, the first several lessons are review). If you decide to switch curriculum, I'd probably still finish 6/5, then have her take the placement test for whatever you switch into.

I would not skip a grade with Saxon, since it is a spiral approach doing 65 and then 76 is really necessary to make sure you have the firm foundation for the Algebra and Geometry to com. You want to make sure she is not missing any concepts. Remember the concepts are built upon in each book and new techniques are taught. If you really needed to move ahead I would get a copy of 76 and work through any material that was not covered in 65 before attempting 87. The worst thing in Math is to move them ahead too quickly, it can shake a kids confidence and make concepts more difficult for the kids to process and understand.

Dd (also 10) is in 76 (we took the placement test before last year and it put her in 65 instead of 54) and it takes her about an hour (or a little more depending) a day to do her Math. She reads it over and then does the work. I go over it and circle the incorrect problems and she then fixes them. We do the tests and we at least read over the investigations. The test days are nice breaks for dd, she is still doing a little math so she gets the practice but it only takes her about 20-30 minutes max. Those are her favorite days.

DD10 has been homeschooling for about a month now. I started her in the 6/5 book, had her take the tests till I could tell she wasn't doing as well and we started in on lessons. In school she was top of her class in math, always doing very well. We are spending about an hour a day on math. She reads through the lessons, does the problems, I check it and we fix the ones she missed. I haven't had her take any more of the tests because I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how well she knows the concepts since I check her work everyday. But after doing some reading in this forum I'm wondering if I should just have her do the lessons....not stress so much about checking and fixing the missed problems and do the tests and use that to make sure she is getting it. Thoughts? How long should math be taking us?

I'm trying to imagine what you've read here that would cause you to think that not checking the lessons and making corrections would be a good idea. :huh:

An hour doesn't seem overly long to me. And once she reached a place in the tests where you felt she needed to start the lessons, then yes, she needs the lessons.

Did you have her take the placement test first?

I really would like her to start pre algebra in 6th grade. She does well at math and I feel like one of the perks of homeschooling is that I CAN move her along. She doesn't have to wait for the whole class to move forward with her. But I'm struggling with how to do that. I want her to have the foundation she needs. So if I stick with Saxon, how do I do that? Is it possible to get there by this fall from where she is at right now?

Saxon's "pre-algebra" is either 87 or Alg. 1/2. I don't know how you can get her through 65 and 76 in time to start in the fall. I also don't understand why she needs to start pre-algebra in sixth grade, but then I don't love math, lol.

I've heard a lot of people don't like Saxon math because its boring, long, repetitive etc. I'm all for a fun program of course...but math is math, right? Do different books/programs really make that big of difference? I'm super new to homeschooling. Any thoughts on this? I'd love a more "fun" approach, especially since she may be doing a lot of math to reach the goal. Is there something better out there? If so, how do I make the switch? If I switch I want to finish out the book we are on then switch. Is that more hassle than it is worth? She isn't loving homeschooling math like I thought she would. But maybe it's because there aren't other kids to compare herself to so she doesn't get the satisfaction of finishing first etc. Or maybe Saxon math isn't for her and she wants something different....?

People say the same thing about every math publisher. :-)

If this is your first year homeschooling, then you should know that it takes time to de-school...both you and your child. :-) IOW, it takes time to get back the child you sent to school and to redevelop your relationship with her. Muddling through different publishers and methods is part of that. But really and truly, Saxon is a great math series. If she isn't hating it, I'd stick with it, even though she doesn't love it. Find fun in other things. :-)

Thank you so much for all the responses. I think I'm going to stick with Saxon. I like that there is a lot of review from previous lessons. It seems like that is where DD is missing the most questions. So apparently, she needs the review. She usually miss 2-3 questions for each lesson and always in the mixed practice section. I had her take the next sections test today just to see and again, she missed questions from previous lessons. I think she just isn't being careful because she knows how do to it. I guess she'll just have to learn to be more careful:).

Yes...I am requiring de-schooling right along with my new homeschooling children. It's an interesting adjustment. She's always done so well in math at our public school that we were shooting for her to be a part of the accelerated math program which would start pre algebra this fall. I just don't want to feel like because I'm homeschooling, she won't be as accelerated. But really....the most important thing is that she learns the concepts and learns them well. WHEN she learns them probably shouldn't matter as much to me.

For my three youngest though, I'm still considering what to do. Is Math U See more fun? Or at least more fun looking? Is Math U See more or less intensive for the mom? What if I did something different than Saxon for the younger years, than started them in Saxon in 4th grade? Would that work well?

I guess this is what I'm looking for

1- something not too labor intensive on my part

2- something fun to catch the younger child's interest

3- comprehensive so I don't feel like I need to supplement their math program

I know each child is different but I'd like to at least have a general plan for how this will go. And I can't afford to buy every program and try them all out. :)

Jenny, one of the big problems I see (I'm at a university) with the pre-university education of students is that they have rushed through their earlier math education without taking time to slow down and really grasp what's going on. I would much rather have a student in my classes who had taken the time to really understand things instead of rushing ahead with concepts half-mastered.

Now, let's look at the schedule, assuming you do just one book per year.

5th grade: 6/5.

6th grade: 7/6

7th grade: 8/7 or algebra 1/2, depending on your edition (assuming she is doing well, one of these can be skipped)

8th grade: algebra 1

9th grade: algebra 2

10th grade: advanced mathematics, first half

11th grade: advanced mathematics, second half

12th grade: calculus

This is a perfectly acceptable track for a college-bound student! A student who has taken and understood all of these courses will be at a significant advantage over other students.

Now, if both you and she want to, this could be accelerated more by working through the summers.

I agree if she's loving the math you have, don't change to something because it might be more "fun" and if she wants to work ahead, as long as the other subjects are getting done too, I wouldn't discourage it. A solid foundation in basic math is important for later. It sucks to hit the wall in more advanced maths because you've been doing it by the formula for too long and don't actually know why it works. Invest in the basics now so when she's paying for college she doesn't have to pay for what she should already know.