Menu

Rod and Staff

sgrcn77

I haven't used preschool. I can tell you that I love their English (starts in 2nd) and Bible (starts in 5th... earlier if you use the readers), but my kids hated their math (starts in 1st). I personally like the math because it's the "old school" way that I learned, but it starts out at least a year behind other publishers, only catching up when you get to about 5th grade or so. Generally speaking, I just like R&S. I don't think a curriculum is necessary for preschool at all, but yes, I'd give R&S a try if you're looking for something to do. It's very gentle in the early years, and I prefer the muted use of color and illustrations.

I wouldn't call the ABC series heavily Christian in content. There are a handful of pages in each workbook that have poems/songs/short stories or references to God, but the majority of the book covers basic skills. Most kids aren't using them while they are reading so any poems, songs, short stories would be read by the parent. I really like the R&S preschool workbooks and so do my preschoolers/k'ers. You can see samples of each book here. As someone else mentioned they are published by Mennonites so it is a given from them that they will mention God/Jesus at some point.

I wouldn't call the ABC series heavily Christian in content. There are a handful of pages in each workbook that have poems/songs/short stories or references to God, but the majority of the book covers basic skills. Most kids aren't using them while they are reading so any poems, songs, short stories would be read by the parent. I really like the R&S preschool workbooks and so do my preschoolers/k'ers. You can see samples of each book here. As someone else mentioned they are published by Mennonites so it is a given from them that they will mention God/Jesus at some point.

twoxcell, thanks for this; I'll look at the samples. The level of religious content you describe is well within what we use. I've heard such good things about these materials, and the ethics/character/family content I prefer means we often use curricula designed by folks with a conservative Christian orientation ...