Menu

Apologia Elem kits?

hollyh

Has anyone used the kits from Rainbow Resource? I am considering buying them, but wonder if they are really worth it or if is just a waste of money. They aren't cheap, but I also hate paying for things like a pencil and scissors when those truly are sitting around my house and easy for me to find.

Thanks

I am doing Exploring Creation with Chemistry with my 6th and 8th graders and luckily bought the kit. My 4th grader is doing Zoology 1 and I figured most of what is in there is easily available and deemed it not necessary. BIG MISTAKE! Yes, most items are easily available but many of them I do not have laying around the house. Yes, I could have gone through the list in the beginning and bought what was needed but I didn't and my inkling is that even if I had, the supplies would have been used for other purposes. We are often missing one or two pieces but I am not going out to make a special trip to buy 2 balloons or something like that. By the time I go shopping we are way past the experiment and neither my daughter nor I wish to backtrack and do it.

She will continue with Zoology 2 and this time I will get the kit so we can do the experiments.

Has anyone used the kits from Rainbow Resource? I am considering buying them, but wonder if they are really worth it or if is just a waste of money. They aren't cheap, but I also hate paying for things like a pencil and scissors when those truly are sitting around my house and easy for me to find.

Thanks

The Rainbow Resource kits are a very good value for the money spent; I was very very happy with the two we used, and have heard they are better than the Home Science Tools version. Esp. with an Apologia Junior Notebook (or the regular Notebook, I understand the Junior have more of the fun-ish activities) science is totally open-and-go. Button loved the Apologia experiments/projects with the kits. It was so fun.

If we were young earth I'd never have moved away from Apologia & the Rainbow Resource kits. If you are doing Apologia, get them! (most of the items are not just pencils and scissors, and are pre-measured; and we always found a good use for the extra school supplies :) )

We used the kit for zoology 1, and I definitely think that they are worth it...if you use them! We had trouble with some of the experiments (squirrels eating the bird food, etc) and some we are choosing not to do (my DD has no interest in mounting bugs, for example). We are planning on getting the kit though for next year in swimming creatures as well. I think that the experiments we did do using the kit were worth it, and may not have been completed without everything right on hand and divided out like that.