Menu

What does history look like if you use AO?

Runningmom80

Reading aloud and narrating. We are studying the middle ages this year, so I'm reading aloud Our Island Story, A child's history of the world, an occasional biography (diane stanley's books), and our literature consists of Robin Hood, Door in the Wall, Otto of the Silver hand, and Narnia series.

So I ask one or both my oldest to narrate when I'm done reading a chapter. We talk about what happened in the previous chapters, I will have my dd8 write a narration occasionally about what she is reading in her literature books. She was going to read Robin Hood for the 2nd time because she loved it so much, but she convinced me to make it our read aloud so we can all enjoy it.

Dd8 loves the middle ages and is constantly drawing knights and dragons and princess wardrobes, making shields and swords, etc. I get them lots of supplemental books; one on castles, one about middle ages myths, drawing books, craft books. And then I get out of the way and let them feast.

It is pretty laid back, read the next chapter, narrate, discuss, enjoy. No schedule other than I read to them every night, no canned activities. I'll do an activity or craft with them when they ask to do one. It is working very well.

I don't follow AO's schedule, but I use their book suggestions. I've blended the first three years to fit our needs.

We just started Simply Charlotte Mason's history program. We have a family lesson we review the previous lesson, read the new lesson, and narrate the reading. After that, I may have an additional reading for my older two, and the younger two can play quietly. There are a few activities scheduled for the year...we just made a salt dough map last week and we're currently making a poster of Abraham's character traits. I also picked up Old Testament Days and we may do a few crafts/activities from it.

Reading aloud and narrating. We are studying the middle ages this year, so I'm reading aloud Our Island Story, A child's history of the world, an occasional biography (diane stanley's books), and our literature consists of Robin Hood, Door in the Wall, Otto of the Silver hand, and Narnia series.

So I ask one or both my oldest to narrate when I'm done reading a chapter. We talk about what happened in the previous chapters, I will have my dd8 write a narration occasionally about what she is reading in her literature books. She was going to read Robin Hood for the 2nd time because she loved it so much, but she convinced me to make it our read aloud so we can all enjoy it.

Dd8 loves the middle ages and is constantly drawing knights and dragons and princess wardrobes, making shields and swords, etc. I get them lots of supplemental books; one on castles, one about middle ages myths, drawing books, craft books. And then I get out of the way and let them feast.

It is pretty laid back, read the next chapter, narrate, discuss, enjoy. No schedule other than I read to them every night, no canned activities. I'll do an activity or craft with them when they ask to do one. It is working very well.

I don't follow AO's schedule, but I use their book suggestions. I've blended the first three years to fit our needs.

Thank you! That sounds great.

We just started Simply Charlotte Mason's history program. We have a family lesson we review the previous lesson, read the new lesson, and narrate the reading. After that, I may have an additional reading for my older two, and the younger two can play quietly. There are a few activities scheduled for the year...we just made a salt dough map last week and we're currently making a poster of Abraham's character traits. I also picked up Old Testament Days and we may do a few crafts/activities from it.

I keep forgetting about SCM! Thanks for the reminder. The salt dough map sounds cool.

Essentially, I read a section (or we listen to the audio), DD narrates it back. I try not to prompt too much. We aren't following AO's schedule exactly, just doing it as it gets done. We are using Our Island Story, Britannia: 100 Great Stories from British History, and some supplemental biographies. We just finished the rule of Elizabeth I.

Before we read, we go over any aspect of history that has already happened that she may need to be reminded or have further clarified before reading the new chapter. Most of the time we do not need to do this, but sometimes it is very helpful (such as a family tree). Next, we go over any places that need to be looked up on a map or globe (this is already listed for me under my Book Notes under the category places). We don't always need to do this either.

My dd and I usually read the chapter together. Often she reads to me, but on some days, when she and I have a number of books we are reading and she has already read from them aloud to me, I will read to her. I created Book Notes to go along with our history readings and for now that includes Our Island Story and A Child's History of the World. (We do add in supplemental books too.) Her narrations have improved a great deal by breaking the chapter into half (roughly). I have this already marked in my Book Notes. She narrates orally to me after half of the chapter has been read (and uses the proper nouns list to help if she needs it....and she often does not need to refer to it). Then we continue reading the chapter together.

After the entire reading of the chapter, she either gives me another oral narration (this one is usually more of a discussion than a retelling), a picture narration or a written narration. I have several of these on my Book Notes too.

We do keep a Book of Centuries, but we need to come up with a better arrangment to get this done more consistently. I've been so busy lately.... :)

I have a blog entry on a narration example dd and I did for Our Island Story on my blog (A Mind in the Light) titled "A Narration Example", if this is helpful.

I can also include how we do history with my older dd, if anyone would like. Since she was in high school, I wasn't sure if that would be helpful here or not.

Before we read, we go over any aspect of history that has already happened that she may need to be reminded or have further clarified before reading the new chapter. Most of the time we do not need to do this, but sometimes it is very helpful (such as a family tree). Next, we go over any places that need to be looked up on a map or globe (this is already listed for me under my Book Notes under the category places). We don't always need to do this either.

My dd and I usually read the chapter together. Often she reads to me, but on some days, when she and I have a number of books we are reading and she has already read from them aloud to me, I will read to her. I created Book Notes to go along with our history readings and for now that includes Our Island Story and A Child's History of the World. (We do add in supplemental books too.) Her narrations have improved a great deal by breaking the chapter into half (roughly). I have this already marked in my Book Notes. She narrates orally to me after half of the chapter has been read (and uses the proper nouns list to help if she needs it....and she often does not need to refer to it). Then we continue reading the chapter together.

After the entire reading of the chapter, she either gives me another oral narration (this one is usually more of a discussion than a retelling), a picture narration or a written narration. I have several of these on my Book Notes too.

We do keep a Book of Centuries, but we need to come up with a better arrangment to get this done more consistently. I've been so busy lately.... :)

I have a blog entry on a narration example dd and I did for Our Island Story on my blog (A Mind in the Light) titled "A Narration Example", if this is helpful.

I can also include how we do history with my older dd, if anyone would like. Since she was in high school, I wasn't sure if that would be helpful here or not.

Your blog is fantastic and it looks like you put so much work into it! Thanks so much for sharing! I think I know what I will be doing this evening:)

Thank you! Going to check out the blog post now.

We used to use AO, but I prefer for my kids to be on the same history cycle. And honestly, the upper AO years of history scared me a bit:) We're using SCM history now and I love their family handbooks. We do similar to Holly, above. The handbook has a family spine reading we do together. Sometimes my older child has her own additional reading. I have them take turns narrating the family reading. We also do the SCM Bible and geography readings. Once a week we take a few min. to add events to our timeline book (the handbook lists dates/people). It's not too heavy, so I also jot in Truthquest's Biblical commentary and movie suggestions at the appropriate times. Easy peasy and all planned out for me:) Gina