Menu

Baked oatmeal. I can't get the search function to work.

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

Who has a baked oatmeal recipe - the one that's done in a crockpot overnight? I know it was a WTMer that's frequently given credit for one that goes around on the boards. Anyone have it bookmarked?

Was it this one:

Crockpot Oatmeal

4 cups milk

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons melted butter

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 cup quick cooking oats

2 cups chopped apple

1 cup raisins

1 cup chopped walnuts

Grease the inside of crock pot. Put ingredients inside crock pot and mix with wire whisk. Cover just before going to bed, turn on low. It will be ready in the morning.

Guest inoubliable

Was it this one:

Crockpot Oatmeal

4 cups milk

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons melted butter

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 cup quick cooking oats

2 cups chopped apple

1 cup raisins

1 cup chopped walnuts

Grease the inside of crock pot. Put ingredients inside crock pot and mix with wire whisk. Cover just before going to bed, turn on low. It will be ready in the morning.

Yes! That sounds just like it. I remembered that I could turn it on low and let it cook all night. I really want to try this. Thank you!

Any variations on fruits/nuts to add in?

Guest inoubliable

That could get really interesting around here... I'm trying to figure out how I could make strawberry and cream or peaches and cream. Without the cream, I mean. Hmmm

Guest inoubliable

The oatmeal didn't work out. At all.

I followed the recipe exactly. I don't get it. :( It was mushy and just reminded everyone of baby food instead of oatmeal.

What did I do wrong? I was using a generic quick cook oats, should I have used a brand name?

Thick-cut flakes (not instant), or steel-cut make better-flavoured oatmeal.

I have tried to use a crockpot overnight for oatmeal, but gave up. Even on low setting, I ended up with a thick, burned crust all over the crockpot bottom. Major annoyance to clean up, and nothing edible to show for the effort.

I want, want, WANT to be able to do something like this successfully!

One of my recently-published crockpot cookbooks points out that the newer-model machines run at temperatures noticeably higher than those for the older machines.