Menu

Talk me out of MCT Island

Sahamamama

Not sure about you, but this thread has convinced me TO buy Grammar Island and Grammar Town for my two. Going to give it a try. No plans to use the whole MCT approach to teaching grammar, but those books look creative and poetic and so going to give them a try with my two kids.

I was feeling like I needed to buy the "complete set" of whatever level I started with. Would it be okay to buy ONLY Sentence Island (the guide or the student book?), and then move ahead and buy the complete set for the Town level?

This is exactly what I would do on a tight budget.

No, when I say "I," I can assure you that I am never using that pronoun to replace "Joanie."

No, but you are using it to replace "Violet" (or more accurately, your real name that you no longer use on this forum ;) ). I just picked the first phrase that popped into my head (guess I'm showing my age here!)

If you were just going to buy pieces, what is most useful? I am feeling like I have to buy the complete set and do the whole thing if I'm going to do it. But I just don't know if we can afford the whole set right now. And not knowing where to start. I'm afraid I'll buy the wrong level, and it seems like an expensive mistake if I do that.

:iagree: but the OP had in her siggie that her students were already doing FLL. My oldest did FLL 1/2, then a mish-mosh of stuff before I hit upon the combo of Killgallon Story Grammar and MCT "town". My 2nd found FLL 1/2 a very bad "fit" so I held off on grammar until he was ready to start MCT "island". He enjoys it, but I don't find "island" nearly as strong a program as "town". Given the steep price, I wish I had just bought Sentence Island and skipped the rest of the level.

So is that what you would do now, looking back? Just get Sentence Island and nothing else in that level, and then move on to Town?

To start with, a straightforward answer is that native English speakers have always been stranding prepositions, and it seems odd to choose an aspect of a language which is universal among its speakers and proclaim it not to be part of the grammar of that language.

I invite those not yet convinced to consider the above phrase "to start with," and rephrase it so as to cure it of the stranded preposition. "With which to start, a straightforward answer is ..."?

I am perfectly happy with your phrasing. However, other options could include:

For a start,

To start,

First,

In the first place,