Menu

ancient music?

As far as I am aware we don't know quite what ancient music sounded like. There are probably groups you can find that play instruments made like ancient instruments (based on pictures and descriptions) but what they actually played, I don't think we know.

You'll notice that the BBC timeline doesn't start to Medieval time period (1136 AD) .Even with that music we have less of a sense of what it sounded like because instruments were different. Again, you'll likely find some "reproduction" music being played by groups working with old instruments.

As far as I am aware we don't know quite what ancient music sounded like. There are probably groups you can find that play instruments made like ancient instruments (based on pictures and descriptions) but what they actually played, I don't think we know.

You'll notice that the BBC timeline doesn't start to Medieval time period (1136 AD) .Even with that music we have less of a sense of what it sounded like because instruments were different. Again, you'll likely find some "reproduction" music being played by groups working with old instruments.

Yes, this. The YouTube video of an ancient lyre is a made-up song. We don't have any "notes" from ancient times, though we do know what kinds of instruments they played and what they must have sounded like. There was no method of recording score in the ancient world.

I think that so little is known about ancient music that there isn't much to study. Robert Greenberg touches on it for a few minutes in his TTC series "How to listen to great music" series. Maybe also interesting to note that in Latin "carmen" means both poem and song interchangeably.