Menu

Need suggestions for 10th anniversary trip in CA

AndyJoy

UPDATE: DH likes the idea of Idaho so I'm going that route for now. Thanks!

Hey ladies, I'm looking for ideas to celebrate my 10th anniversary this summer. When we were young and couldn't predict the future, we dreamed about New York for our 10th, but that's not feasible at this point. We're considering driving to Idaho, leaving DS with my parents, and spending a week touring various sites that I've wanted to show him. Unfortunately, many of these are "outdoorsy" activities, which may not be reasonable when I'm so far along in my pregnancy. Somehow I don't think cave exploring, camping, and hot springs are a good idea. I'm still considering this possibility, but cutting down on the stuff that's too adventurous.

So my alternate idea is to have my mom come to our house in CA to stay with DS and then we'll drive somewhere in CA.

Here is some relevant information:

1. I'll be 7 1/2 months pregnant

2. We don't drink wine, so no wine tasting tours (plus, see #1)

3. We don't have a ton of money to spend, so nothing too extravagant (I can't give a dollar amount right now)

4. Something involving a train ride would be fun--DH has never been on one and would like to

5. We are more into pretty scenery than cities, but we're open to something in a city as well (DH hasn't been to any cities in Northern California)

6. DH has never been to the Redwoods and I was 10 when I was there last, so if you have recommendations for that area I'd be interested

7. We live in a desert so we'd like a change of climate

8. I think we'd prefer something in the northern half of the state, but I am open to SoCal suggestions as well

So, if you're up to the challenge, please give me some ideas! But please don't be offended if we go to Idaho instead :laugh: because I'm in the brainstorming phase!

My ex and I, when dating, took a train down to San Juan Capistrano. Everything is walking distance from the train station, and the town is so cute and quaint. Obviously, the main site is the mission, but the state's oldest residential street is there; some houses ate owned by the original families.

For one of our anniversaries, we drove up the coast from Orange County to San Jose. We drove by Hurst Castle (didn't stop) and then we went up to the Monterey Aquarium and to Winchester Mystery House. We didn't have much money, but it was fun to drive up there and see the scenery change. :)

Monterey has some beautiful locations. Aquarium is cool. There used to be some great places to stay along Big Sur.

We were married in Carmel and had a brief honeymoon in San Luis Obispo.

I miss CA.

Have a great celebration!

Thanks for the suggestions! It looks like I'll be saving them for later because when I told DH what I was doing he said he is really interested in doing my Idaho tour for 10. Go figure--I've been asking him for months and he was very "Eh, whatever, I'll think about it later."