Menu

no more computer time

I got access to the internet a few months ago and have found when they are both involved in a computer game is the only time they are quiet. They have become obsessed though especially the little one so I have just decided no more.

Once they have got used to that I may sign them up for an online Spanish course. But that is it. Computers are for work, Lego is for playing.

It will be hard this week but hopefully I will see some reversal of the more irritating behaviors.

I am losing my temper too much and the computer obsession is not helping.

I got access to the internet a few months ago and have found when they are both involved in a computer game is the only time they are quiet. They have become obsessed though especially the little one so I have just decided no more.

Once they have got used to that I may sign them up for an online Spanish course. But that is it. Computers are for work, Lego is for playing.

It will be hard this week but hopefully I will see some reversal of the more irritating behaviors.

I am losing my temper too much and the computer obsession is not helping.

Not sure how old they are, but I think you did the right thing. When they are very little - heck, even when they are grown - the computer or any screen time is gonna win out over school work, reading, working, playing with other things - every time. Once they are used to that not being an option at all, they will settle in. I had to do the same with mine years ago. We instated a video game/computer day once a week - Saturday. None was allowed during the school week. Also, we didn't have TV, so that wasn't an option. Hang in there. I think you are doing fine.

I was wondering too what their ages are? If they are younger, then I can completely understand your point. Even with older kids, the key is limiting their time. My DD would stay on the computer all day long if I let her. She does a lot of her school work on the computer, but what I want her to limit is her "mindless" time on the computer, playing games, fun stuff. However, since technology is a necessary evil in this day and age, I've added programs to teach Word, Excel, Powerpoint, programming, etc. We've also spent a good bit of time on the proper formatting for essay and research papers. To me, those are the important things that will help her in college and in life.