Menu

too hard reading question

Ds5.5 has decided he only wants to read zac powers for his reading to me book (we take turn). When it was the easier test drive ones this was ok. But the one he chose last time is one of the older children ones. The font is too small, the chapters are too long and he just doesn't have the life experiences - he has never been to the movies, in a plane, to a mall(maybe a small one twice) and he doesn't get the girl/boy stuff.

Would you let him persist? He says he can and with help he is but will it help his reading as much as something a bit easier?

I would not prohibit it, but if he wan't progressing, I'd require another book / series that is closer to his reasonable challenge level. He could read the others in his play time.

My dd6 is nuts about "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and I'm pretty sure a lot goes over her head. It is play for her, not reading practice.

We're reading Harry Potter, which is also beyond her experience in some ways, but she's reading it to me (or we take turns), so I explain stuff that goes over her head.

Guest tdb1166

I think kids are pretty good at deciding what level they can read. My DS is in 4th grade. He will only read a more difficult book if it is a really good book and so he is motivated. Otherwise he prefers comic books and the easier Zac Powers type books. So I would let him read it. Also my older daughter loves to read and she has read a lot of books that have things in them that she hasn't experienced in real life. I think that is why she loves to read.

I would let him. Books are excellent ways for kids to learn about different things. Think about all the books you've read in your life, even fairy tales as a kid, had you experienced everything in them? Most likely not. My daughter loves books about animals. She has never experienced seeing even at a zoo most of the animals and things in the books but she likes them and she learns new things from them. She has been reading the Fudge series of books but she's an only child so she's never experienced a little brother being in the way and getting into her stuff. She's only in second grade so she's never experienced 4-6 grades. We've never been to New York City where most the books take place. Kids that like Harry Potter have never experienced the magic of a wizard school first hand, and honestly won't, but I wouldn't discourage a kids from reading them if they are interested in them. My thing is unless it's truly an inappropriate thing for the age level, like adult content or words or for our house even suggesting ideas like sex, then she can read it if she wants. If it's beyond what they can comprehend the kids will lose interest. If they are interested and understanding the books I say let them read it. For me the hardest was allowing Junie B. Jones and Diary of a wimpy kid books for my daughter but I decided they weren't inappropriate for her just that I had to reinforce that we don't use that kind of behavior or name calling and allowed her to read them as long as she remembered not to imitate the characters.

If a book is at dd's instructional level (not too many errors and needs work on fluency) I let her work through it. If it is just above her level and she wants to read it I take turns with her. I read a passage once or twice depending on how close to her level it is and then she reads it or we will read it together. For books that are a little long I will often take turns with her. She reads a page then I read a page. I would go by his interests but if he is really struggling in his reading and making lots of errors or reading really choppy then try shared reading. I don't have dd read stuff by herself when she is struggling through it.