Menu

Bought a wiggle seat...now what?

After seeing these recommended several times here, I finally bought one for my very wiggly DD. It seems to be working, I guess. She does stay in her chair more. But, I'm wondering exactly how they're supposed to be used. How full should it be inflated? Is she supposed to kind of roll around in circles on it while she's sitting? That's what she's doing, which is fine when it's subconscious, but I get a little annoyed when it's on purpose because at that point she's no longer on task. Overall, just kind of wondering how everyone uses these.

This is what I bought in purple.

41PDsdju9VL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Isokinetics-Brand-Exercise-Balance-Cushion/dp/B000WQ4Z94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358696541&sr=8-1&keywords=wiggle+seat

Ooo, good find! What you might try, if you can't get the wiggling to resolve, is to get a *wedge* style for her to sit on and put the round one under her feet. You can actually do that. Just gives 'em double sensory input. Abilitations makes the one our SLP used with ds. It's funny, but then I went to the dentist and he was using the wedges too!

BTW, is she still 5? My dd has a spring birthday, so she was always on the young end of her grade too. She did extremely short, like 5-10 minute, sessions, and after we worked together for that 5-10, I'd send her to go do laps around the table or the house. Try to shake up some of your stuff and make it more kinesthetic. Get her up and moving. On that AAS, try doing it with the Jumbo Banagrams on the floor. I just got those to use with my in-motion, kinesthetic learner ds, and they are SUPER nice. I got mine through Timberdoodle. SO wish I had had them when dd was that age! There are also some active game ideas in the files of the SWR yahoo group, so you might join there and take a look.

For read alouds, yes we did some the traditional way, but we also did it where she'd just run around the yard playing and I'd read to her. We did that by the hour, that and audiobooks, highly recommend.

And as a 2nd btw, did you see the $5 learning styles profile deal HSBC has going right now? That's a super good deal, and the feedback I've heard has been good. Might be something to look into.

I've seen those wedges mentioned here before. Are they comfortable? They seem as though they would be exhausting to me...always having to try to keep from sliding off. Of course, that's probably the point. Maybe they aren't exhausting to wigglers?

DD is still five...until the beginning of May. I've tried a little of the jumping up and moving around method, but she switches over to play mode and it's so hard to get her back.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I really have tried to tune into her learning style. She enjoys worksheets, being read aloud to and hands-on activities. She's definitely learning...just very wiggly.

Ooo, good find! What you might try, if you can't get the wiggling to resolve, is to get a *wedge* style for her to sit on and put the round one under her feet. You can actually do that. Just gives 'em double sensory input. Abilitations makes the one our SLP used with ds. It's funny, but then I went to the dentist and he was using the wedges too!

BTW, is she still 5? My dd has a spring birthday, so she was always on the young end of her grade too. She did extremely short, like 5-10 minute, sessions, and after we worked together for that 5-10, I'd send her to go do laps around the table or the house. Try to shake up some of your stuff and make it more kinesthetic. Get her up and moving. On that AAS, try doing it with the Jumbo Banagrams on the floor. I just got those to use with my in-motion, kinesthetic learner ds, and they are SUPER nice. I got mine through Timberdoodle. SO wish I had had them when dd was that age! There are also some active game ideas in the files of the SWR yahoo group, so you might join there and take a look.

For read alouds, yes we did some the traditional way, but we also did it where she'd just run around the yard playing and I'd read to her. We did that by the hour, that and audiobooks, highly recommend.

And as a 2nd btw, did you see the $5 learning styles profile deal HSBC has going right now? That's a super good deal, and the feedback I've heard has been good. Might be something to look into.

The wedges our SLP uses are from Abilitations. I assume they're comfortable, as my ds never complains. They come in a smaller size and adult. Yes, I think the slight amount of repositioning necessary to stay in is part of what makes it work. She also straps him into a chair. Like STRAPS him in, lol. So if she still fits in an adjustable seat, you might try it. I had a seat with straps when he was younger. What the SLP uses with him now is one of those triangle chairs you see, the kind that pulls up to a table and has a tray. You know, come to think of it, I'd probably get more schoolwork done with him if I strapped him down. He doesn't mind. It's sort of a sensory thing.

Oh, you can put something weighted on their lap, similar effect. Best time for time for teaching my ds with formal school work is right when he wakes up. That's when he's calmest, like even before breakfast. Once he's fully going, it's OVER. :lol:

Here's a picture of something like what she uses. See how it's adjustable and has straps... Hers also has a large tray. The one in this image is a Keekaroo, and it actually does come with a tray.

13014.jpg