Menu

Question about history progression and APs

My mind is a mess this morning and I've been tossing around course and book options for Ds til I want to run screaming from the house!

Here's my question...can a Dc take American history as a freshman and then later in high school take American History thru PA Homeschoolers (just for example) followed by the AP test and can those two courses (freshman American history, then junior or Senior year AP American history) fulfill two different history credits for high school? Or would Dc need to be studying two entirely different time periods in American history in order to earn separate credits?

I've also been reading that AP American History is one of the harder APs (as compared to World History AP). Do you agree with that assessment?

I'm sure this is the type of question that has been asked over and over. I have just about maxed out my 'search' brainpower for the day! TIA

Yes, but why don't you just re-name your freshman American History? I'm calling mine Modern History, although we are focusing on US Hist and my kids are prepping for the APUSH. No AH course only studies happenings in America; you will also study European wars, literature, philosophy, trade, etc... Maybe you can use that freshman year to focus a bit more on our relations with the rest of the world and how we were influenced by that.

Yes, but why don't you just re-name your freshman American History? I'm calling mine Modern History, although we are focusing on US Hist and my kids are prepping for the APUSH. No AH course only studies happenings in America; you will also study European wars, literature, philosophy, trade, etc... Maybe you can use that freshman year to focus a bit more on our relations with the rest of the world and how we were influenced by that.

This sounds a lot like my plan. We're wrapping up modern history this year. Lots of US history but from 1850 to Cold War. So earlier was last year and this year includes lots of European. No ap exam this year.

Next year I'll have to pick between starting over with ancients and doing multiple ap exams at some point or doing an ap focused schedule like World US and European.

Thank you! Kind of what I was thinking. We have been using TOG 3, but I think Ds and I want to switch to using a text for a spine w/ supplemental reading of our own choosing (not necessarily on the TOG list) to finish out the year. TOG has been more world focused and less american (of course that's just our opinion). Now we'd like to shift the focus more toward American to finish out the year. Now I'll just have to figure out what to call it.

Anyone care to comment on the idea that AP American History is more difficult than AP World (talking in terms of the test)?

I don't see why you couldn't do the American Hx as a freshman and then even if you are going over the same time period just in more depth for the AP it should be ok because after all that is what is typically done in AP chem, physics, and bio. They've already been studied at an easier level.

But I'm not really familiar with uni's in the US so maybe you could ask one? though I think there's lots of variation....

Isn't it typically one credit of US/American Hx and one credit of World Hx that states typically require for graduation? So as long as you also got one credit of World Hx it seems ok...

I have no clue about World vs American Hx APs but have heard that the European Hx is difficult (I think it is one that Harvard likes)...

Joan

I don't see why you couldn't do the American Hx as a freshman and then even if you are going over the same time period just in more depth for the AP it should be ok because after all that is what is typically done in AP chem, physics, and bio. They've already been studied at an easier level.

That's why I'm asking. I've seen it done for sciences, but I don't know that I've ever seen it done (or discussed) for history.

But I'm not really familiar with uni's in the US so maybe you could ask one? though I think there's lots of variation....

Isn't it typically one credit of US/American Hx and one credit of World Hx that states typically require for graduation? So as long as you also got one credit of World Hx it seems ok...

I have no clue about World vs American Hx APs but have heard that the European Hx is difficult (I think it is one that Harvard likes)...

Joan

I've heard that about European too.

My oldest will cover history from ancients to modern in the four years of high school. It is just dumb luck that is how her schedule worked out not any sort of planning miracle. If she ends up with AP history exams they will probably come at the end of high school.

The next child will have 2 years left after finishing the 4 year cycle with his sister. I think those last two years will be used for more focused and in-depth study of what was covered earlier. So his history courses will have completly different titles and descriptions and may cover some of what he did earlier.

I don't think you'll have a problem if your reading list and course description point out how the later AP class is more focused, challenging or different from what you studied earlier.

I think that APUSH is actually considered the easiest of the histories, followed by Euro and then World (most difficult). Many 9 & 10th graders in both Public school and even at PA homeschoolers take APUSH. That is not the case with Euro or World. If the % students getting 4's & 5's is lower on APUSH, I think it is indicative of the sheer # of younger unprepared public school kids who take the test rather than the relative difficulty of the subject matter.

Here is a quote from the PA homeschoolers site related to admittance to their world history class:

Homeschooled students in grades 11-12, who are avid and mature readers, have very advanced writing skills and a strong passion for history. Academic performance must be well above average, as substantiated by standardized tests scores, such as SAT I, PSAT, other AP scores, etc. Depending on the student's qualifications, I may recommend taking AP European History instead. Advanced 10th graders may be considered on an individual basis, but all things being equal, priority will be given to juniors and seniors. Although no AP class is easy, AP World History is one of the most challenging, and students who usually do best in it have previously taken at least one AP class.

My daughter actually did it the opposite. She took a very challenging non-AP World History course at Scholars Online in 9th. Studied at home in 10th using an approved AP syllabus for Euro in 10th and got a 5 and now is taking Mrs. Richman's wonderful APUSH class at PA Homeschoolers as a senior. My daughter would say that the World History class was by far the hardest due to the sheer volume of information that it covered and each successive history class was easier. Of course, at this point she can read and digest a long chapter of history quickly and easily and reads copius amounts of source documents for extra credit and fun--usually while simultaneously skyping with her friends! Mrs. Richman's class is a lot of fun and a great learning environment, and I think it would have been a far, far better choice for 9th grade than the very stressful world history course my daughter took as a freshman.

Nancy

Nancy,

Thanks for sharing your Dd's experiences. I especially appreciate the info in Mrs. Richman's class. At this point, I don't know which AP History Ds will take, or how many. I just didn't want to mess up his history progression or credits.