Menu

My 2nd grader finally had to "work" at something yesterday

It was interesting. School work has always com easily to this child, but yesterday she encountered some Latin prefixes that she could not figure out from what she already knew and didn't memorize readily. She's been working on them for a while, so she seemed a bit surprised when she got them wrong during review. LOL. Her expression was priceless, along the lines of, "You mean I really have to work at this?" :confused1: She wasn't frustrated, just surprised that it wasn't automatic, as usual.

We talked about various derivatives and how to work on those three trouble spots. She grew as a student. I could see it happening. Her trouble spots were:

pro = for, before, forward, in place of

prae/pre = before, in front of

ad = to, toward, near, next to

Anyway, it was a good moment for her as a student, and for me as a teacher. I was patient, I promise! :)

Oh, she's done the dissolving into tears thing with math, poor kid. This was more along the lines of her being surprised that it didn't CLICK automatically. After all, she's a Word Girl, so why would three little Latin prefixes be troublesome? And it surprised her, I think, to realize that sometimes what she expected to be easy turns out to be a stumper.

But you're right, of course, I was lucky -- no tears! :)

She got them all today, and beamed her goofy toothless grin.