Menu

Literature study (guides?) for grade 2

EmilyGF

I've got a 2nd grader and today I suddenly panicked. I have him reading on his own (30-60 minutes/day) but I never require anything of him from that reading.

Additionally, I read aloud and require narrations from history readings. I do not require narrations from fiction readings.

Should I be doing some literature q&a sheets or book reports? I remember doing book reports growing up from quite a young age.

If I should, do you have a favorite source you would recommend?

Thanks,

Emily

http://thelearningfamily.blogspot.com/

I personally think second grade is too young for literature guides, but Memoria Press has some for 2nd grade.

Look up Deconstructing Penguins on amazon. It teaches parents how to teach young children to analyze literature in an engaging way. It has been recommended by several on this board and I am actually reading it for myself right now. Being able to help the child pick out themes, plot, scenes, protagonists, etc, and having a meaningful conversation about the book is more effective than filling in questions in a workbook, imo of course.

I read Deconstructing Penguins, it's great but I too need more handholding. I found "Teaching the Classics" on sale. I can't offer a fair review as I'm still going through the DVDs and haven't fully implemented it. I am however beyond thrilled with the study guide so far and I've started pointing out simple literary elements to my K'ers.

I think "Teaching the Classics" might work well for you, it's a teach the teacher tool that can be used from K thru college.

What are you looking for?

I feel it's a poor use of our time to talk about literary analysis with my second graders beyond maybe the barest mention of the terms plot, setting, and characters. I think at his age it's most important to learn to enjoy reading and gradually ramp up difficulty and time reading.

I do ask for oral narrations of what they read in second grade, but only oral, and not every day. No book reports. Now and then they might write a sentence or two of what thy tell me, or write a story about what they read.

But what kind of books (like what are the titles) are your 2nd graders reading? I want mine to read something good quality, but I'm having a hard time finding something on her level for her to read alone. I think she's about a 3rd grade level. I need some help in this subject.

But what kind of books (like what are the titles) are your 2nd graders reading? I want mine to read something good quality, but I'm having a hard time finding something on her level for her to read alone. I think she's about a 3rd grade level. I need some help in this subject.

That is going to depend. For independent reading I give mine slightly easier books to build fluency and comprehension. I keep another book going that is a higher level for them to read aloud to me.

My second grader just read Charlotte's Web for independent reading. Lots of Beverly Cleary books for this age. You could take a look at lists from SL, MP, VP, 1000 Good Books site, for ideas. I don't think every selection has to be great literature, but for "school reading" I avoid things like Star Wars novels, and easy to read formulaic series.

We used "First Favorites, vol. 1 and 2" from Veritas Press as well. Each volume has a list of about 10 books along with gentle activities that compliment the book. For example: coloring, copywork, cut-n-paste activities, a few cooking activities, gentle discussion/comprehension questions, etc. The guides gave me a nice base of quality literature to cover with my kids as well as some interesting activities that were doable and not too time consuming. I never did the guides from cover to cover, but selected activities that suited our needs.