Menu

Just finished HOP K. Should I do it over?

cseitter

I have 3 kids (DS, DD, and DD) doing HOP K. We just finished and they are still having a hard time sounding out words. They know how to and can sound out words but most of the time I have to start them off on the word. So lets say, the word is "muck" I say "mmm" and they will say muck but to get them to read the whole thing on their own is very difficult. So I was thinking maybe I went to fast through it or I helped them to much. I also own PAL and was thinking of putting HOP away and doing PAL for a while.

Should I start HOP K again (they aren't opposed to it), go on to HOP 1st and go slower or put it away and do PAL for a while? My main goal in K is to get them reading and reading well. Any suggestions would be great. We do read a lot and visit the library once a week already. :)

The 4.5 year old may not be developmentally ready to move that quick. The 6 year olds, I'd probably pick a different program. Have you looked at Phonics Pathways? I just picked it up from the library, and my 3.5 and 6 year olds are both enjoying it. I sometimes have to give hints to the 3.5 year old to get him started, but I expect that. He's only 3. :)

Also, I'd recommend using a notched card to isolate the sounds. Display one phonogram at a time, and have them sound the words out. I'd also practice with nonsense words, so they have to sound out and not just guess. ;)

CHeck out the book called I See Sam. www.3rsplus.com and www.iseesam.com They are super easy to use and teach only a few sounds at a time and have LOTS of practice with new words/sounds. The stories would really appeal to your age kids as well. You can google them and find the first 2 sets as printable PDF files since they are in the public domain.

I did books 1 and 2 (K and the first half of 1st) twice for my son. I think it helped me as much as it did him. :tongue_smilie: It was nice to really hear the improvement in his reading the second time through. When he needed prompting I would usually say, "What is the first sound in this word?" rather than giving the sound.

interestingly enough, she (my 4.5 year old) is doing the best out of all of them!

Ha! My 3.5 year old has less trouble remembering the words once they're sounded out than my 6 year old does. The 3.5 year old will likely pass the 6 year old in the next year, unless 6 year old suddenly takes off, which he may not do for another year or 2. I'm not looking forward to that! The 6 year old has enough confidence problems with reading as it is. He once said, "I can only read baby books!" :( He really isn't reading *books* yet, unless you count Bob. He does love the Star Wars Phonics books we got from Amazon though! (and I'm sure he's doing "Ewoks" as a sight word, but I really don't care).

I'll second the recommendation for the I See Sam books. You have to teach the 'ee' phonogram if you haven't already, but otherwise you should be ok. The first 52 are free:

http://www.marriottmd.com/sam/index.html

If they are having trouble sounding out words show them how to uncover a word - use a sheet of paper and cover up the entire word then uncover the letters left to right while they sound it out - most children enjoy being in control of this activity. Just make sure the print is big enough so that they can do the uncovering successfully and be there to help when you reach a double letter phonogram so they uncover the sound both letters together. (eg r-ai-n) While they are reading just keep asking: what do we do when we are not sure of a word - sound it out - and then get them to uncover the word and sound it out. It takes endless repetition to get them to do it by themselves, but they will get there. I would not repeat HOP K - try something else and keep moving on.

I would stick with it for the child that is doing well with it (your youngest) and move on to the next level. For your kiddos (6 yr olds) that aren't doing as well with it, I would find something else for 2 reasons. 1. HOP may just not be the right fit. 2. So younger sibling doesn't seem ahead of them. Every child learns to read at their own pace and sometimes with their own style. I had 2 kids that we quickly went through a phonics program and didn't even use all the bells and whistles we got with it. My 3rd kid---I think I bought and tried all the phonics on the market. He would progress, reach a plateau, hang out there for a while (sometimes a long while), then we would start again with a new skill and go through the pattern over and over again over about 3 years. He really didn't blossom with reading until last year in the 3rd grade and now reads above grade level this year in 4th. His younger sibling however mastered phonics quickly and I made sure last year that he was doing something totally different than big brother.