Menu

DD invited to her friend's Bat Mitzvah....need gift ideas

sheryl

My DD's friend will have her Bat Mitzvah this July and I just noticed my dd received an invitation. This girl's Mom and I are friends too.

It's been awhile since I've been to a Bat Mitzvah and would appreciate your gift ideas.

What is appropriate?

When is it given?

Etc.

Thanks!!!

Money, in increments of 18, I believe. Also, as this is dd's friend- anything she would give her would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be religious. A cd, book, earrings, necklace, etc. are all fine.

eta: multiples of 18, not 7! Here's a thread w/ some ideas/discussions

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/424002-is-money-the-only-gift-for-a-barbat-mitzvah/page__hl__+bat%20+mitzvah?do=findComment&comment=4306984

Money. I had to ask, but it's not considered remotely lazy or tacky. Sooooo easy.

When we went to my daughter's best friend's bat mitzvah, we made her a hardcover photo book with pictures of the girls together from about 18 months up to 12 years. The same girl's little sister got money because by then we knew the drill.

I also learned the hard way that only the family and the Gentiles are at the service on time. Everyone else straggles in the last hour. Yes . . .i also learned it was 3 hours. Everyone has a shawl because it's COLD, not simply for religious reasons. If you bring boys, they will need to wear the yalmukas they put out front. The little hair barrettes are to hold them on. Finally, if you turn to the right page in the wrong book (there was book switching going on) you will be reading about nazis.

If you can stand it, don't eat before you go and wear elastic pants. The food was abundant and HEAVY.

We've given gifts of eighteen quality coloring pencils and eighteen candy bars when we were invited to Bat Mitzvahs.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for this idea.

Money. I had to ask, but it's not considered remotely lazy or tacky. Sooooo easy.

When we went to my daughter's best friend's bat mitzvah, we made her a hardcover photo book with pictures of the girls together from about 18 months up to 12 years. The same girl's little sister got money because by then we knew the drill.

I also learned the hard way that only the family and the Gentiles are at the service on time. Everyone else straggles in the last hour. Yes . . .i also learned it was 3 hours. Everyone has a shawl because it's COLD, not simply for religious reasons. If you bring boys, they will need to wear the yalmukas they put out front. The little hair barrettes are to hold them on. Finally, if you turn to the right page in the wrong book (there was book switching going on) you will be reading about nazis.

If you can stand it, don't eat before you go and wear elastic pants. The food was abundant and HEAVY.

Thanks for much for these tips. These are things I like to know up front. It's been awhile and I've forgotten about a Bat Mitzvah service. All of the gift ideas are great ones! Thanks to everyone. Really a little gift of 18 something sounds nice. Could my dd make a bead necklace or something with the multiples of 18 concept?

We've given gifts of eighteen quality coloring pencils and eighteen candy bars when we were invited to Bat Mitzvahs.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for this idea.

Thanks for much for these tips. These are things I like to know up front. It's been awhile and I've forgotten about a Bat Mitzvah service. All of the gift ideas are great ones! Thanks to everyone. Really a little gift of 18 something sounds nice. Could my dd make a bead necklace or something with the multiples of 18 concept?

I think if she's going to make a necklace, don't worry about the 18 thing. The gift doesn't HAVE to reflect the 18 (chai) concept. It's just a traditional Jewish thing. For our nieces and nephews, we wrote checks for $100 (not a multiple of 18!) and gave them little gifts, like a jewelry box with a Jewish star on it, or a special picture frame for their bar mitzvah picture.

I think if she's going to make a necklace, don't worry about the 18 thing. The gift doesn't HAVE to reflect the 18 (chai) concept. It's just a traditional Jewish thing. For our nieces and nephews, we wrote checks for $100 (not a multiple of 18!) and gave them little gifts, like a jewelry box with a Jewish star on it, or a special picture frame for their bar mitzvah picture.

Yes, Lynne, I get that. Even though we're Gentile, I do remember now about the significance of 18 and appreciate the reminder b/c I'd forgotten. :)

There is the service and then that evening there will be a celebration at the girl's home. Still, I may go with the 18 or find another gift that is suitable but not representative of 18. Lots of choices - I like that. Thanks for your input.

What should we wear? I'm assuming dress, skirt and nice blouse/sweater, etc? Should my dh be in a suit with tie? If there is food present, will it be rude not to sample "every" item? AH, I just thought of that.