Menu

Can anybody recommend a good book on LCHF?

EmmaNZ

I have recently lost a fair amount of weight (15kg) cutting out the carbs, but I'm a bit slapdash about it! I still need to lose 10kg and could use some more details and motivation, especially because the weight loss seems to have slowed a bit. Thanks for your thoughts.

I think it depends on what works for you. Atkins is stricter in some areas and I think it is an easy framework to start from for low carb, paleo tends to be more about the source of your food and isn't necessarily as low in carbs. If you have problems with dairy and want to eat nuts and fruits, paleo is the way to go. I cannot imagine trying to not eat dairy, so I try to use Atkins. I think Protein Power is another good option, but only if you are not concerned about trigger foods and will measure everything to avoid unknowingly increasing your carb intake (carb creep). Also, one of my households concerns is my husband's diabetes, so we are more concerned with low carb than with avoiding some of the foods paleo and whole 30 are more concerned with, plus fruit is too high in carbs and nuts too easy to eat too many of for us.

Really, it depends whether you want to worry about how many carbs or if you are concerned about the effects of certain foods on your health.

I've used Carbohydrate Addicts Diet with success.

Also, keep in mind, that going low carb means that you are changing your body chemistry (especially insulin), which means that you cannot "cheat" or you will mess up the changes to your body chemistry. You might consider reading up on several approaches to low carb eating, such as Atkins, Carb Addicts Diet, Protein Power, etc. to see what the common elements are and the differences. Also, it is very common for the rate of weight loss to slow the longer you follow any diet.

Best wishes.