Menu

Saxon K users - Question

NavyMommy

Quick question for those of you who use Saxon K. Did you buy the manipulative kit that they sell, or were you able to piece it together for cheaper? I am starting with DD on Monday and heading out to the homeschool store. I was planning on trying to get the various components from Amazon, but looking through how many items there are and how frequently they're used I'm thinking it may be worth it to get the kit. Thoughts?

If you are going to stick with Saxon, the items from the manipulative kit are used for various lesson for K-3. We have used all of the manipulative to some degree, if nothing else but to switch things up a bit. Each of our children have really enjoyed using the manipulatives: counting bears (we use them for color naming, counting, ordering...), square markers (we also use for BINGO), scale, pattern blocks, linking cubes, simple paper rulers, geo boards and bands. I would certainly recommend them.

I didn't get the kit because I already had half the stuff laying around. That being said, there are reasons curriculums put together kits like that. I've found they usually make your life easier. I would suggest buying everything in the kit. It will just make things go smoother.

Well the reason I was looking into it is because we really don't have any of that stuff laying around. I actually went to the local homeschool shop and she pieced together a set of all the manipulative you need for K for only $20 and there aren't many that I will have to add onto so hopefully it will work! Looking forward to starting on Monday, DD keeps asking when we can do school:)

I love Saxon's manipulatives and my little kids play with the manipulatives frequently during school time. If you have the time to put together the kit another way go ahead, but I liked buying it all at one time......I personally definitely think it is worth it, but I have used it with 4 kids so far with at least 3 more to go.....

I bought the kit and am glad that I did because we are continuing on with Saxon. At the least, I would purchase the pattern blocks and linking cubes. Actually, I wouldn't recommend the balance because it is the most expensive item and is hardly ever used. Its also a pain to store.