Menu

help me hive! Quick- Stuck in France, Order my dinner for me!

BugsMama

The kids can't handle another adventure, so room service it is. We are in a small town in France and my menu choices are:

"Assiette Turenne"

"Terrine de chasse Maison"

Which one should we choose? (P.s. no, I don't speak much French, and I'm afraid to google images it.)

The second, the terrine, might have venison as it's the speciality of the "hunting house". It will be something cooked in a clay pot like thing. I don't know how to explain a terrine.

The first is a plate of something from Turenne, which I'm guessing is a place near you?

ETA: I've forgotten more French than I thought!

If the kids need a break from all that culture, order a pizza to be delivered. If the place you are staying has room service, I'll bet someone can help you locate a pizza place.

My sons would insist we order 'sans oeuf' (without egg.) :laugh:

I love eating in France...wish I were with you!

The terrine is a sort of paté, a sort of fois gras, similar though not the same. As it says it's terrine de chasse, I would expect it to be some sort of wild bird as that's most common in France, but it could be wild boar, or some other animal. And it's the house recipe.

And there's no way to know what assiette Turenne would be.

Agree with Cléo on terrine- it's like paté. Chasse means hunting, so it's a wild animal of the region terrine.

There is no region called terrine. It's strictly the name of the dish. It takes its name from the fact it's baked in a dish made from "terre", which is the word we use for clay in this case.