Menu

Making Kefir at home

Susan in TN

I did this years ago and just got so sick of it. Couldn't keep up with the supply and finally gave up on it. So a couple questions for you kefir makers...

Can you make it with "commercial" almond or coconut milk?

Can you make it thick like yogurt?

How do you keep up with the healthy kefir grains if you can't consume more than 1/2 gallon per week?

Thank you!

I haven't done milk kefir for years (currently doing water kefir due to allergies). Mine was never like a traditional yogurt, but it did thicken. I have not tried coconut or almond milk. I kept my grains in the frig (in milk) until I was ready to make some kefir. They stored there for weeks without a problem. When I was ready for more kefir, I pulled them out, put them in fresh milk on the counter, then they went back into storage in the frig until the next time I wanted kefir. HTH! I'm sure you'll get a lot of helpful replies here.

I haven't done milk kefir for years (currently doing water kefir due to allergies). Mine was never like a traditional yogurt, but it did thicken. I have not tried coconut or almond milk. I kept my grains in the frig (in milk) until I was ready to make some kefir. They stored there for weeks without a problem. When I was ready for more kefir, I pulled them out, put them in fresh milk on the counter, then they went back into storage in the frig until the next time I wanted kefir. HTH! I'm sure you'll get a lot of helpful replies here.

Huh...so you can just store them in the fridge? Wow - I totally did not know that. I just kept making more batches until we were over-run and never wanted to see another jar of kefir again. I should have consulted The Hive!

Thank you - Cultures for Health has a ton of good information. I find it easier to navigate than Dom's site :). Although he has a great tip for making thick kefir by keeping the grains in a kind of cheesecloth bag in the milk. Not sure why that would make a difference.

From what I've read so far, canned coconut milk seems to work the best - many have trouble with the cartoned coconut or almond milk.

I'm also trying to come up with ways to use the kefir that my kids will actually eat. I think they'd like it over fruit/berries. Maybe mixed with or substituted for our usual Thursday breakfast - yogurt parfaits? They like smoothies but I hate making them (our blender is stupid).

I'm going to ask my neighbor if she has any extra grains I can have, otherwise I'll probably order from Cultures for Health.

Yes, you can store them in the fridge but sometimes if you eave them in there too long they need a re-adjustment period - basically you have to let them go through a ferment cycle and just throw the milk away because it won't be as good. You can do the same with water kefir grains

I have done it with coconut milk and really enjoyed it but be aware that it gets very sour very quickly. They recommend 12-18hrs. You also have to refresh the grains in cows milk occassionally.

For thicker kefir, you can let it ferment a little longer and then strain it through cheesecloth just like you do with yoghurt.

If you decide to go with the grains in a little cloth bag, be aware that it gets really slimey. My friend uses this method and it kind of grosses me out.

Yes, you can store them in the fridge but sometimes if you eave them in there too long they need a re-adjustment period - basically you have to let them go through a ferment cycle and just throw the milk away because it won't be as good. You can do the same with water kefir grains

I have done it with coconut milk and really enjoyed it but be aware that it gets very sour very quickly. They recommend 12-18hrs. You also have to refresh the grains in cows milk occassionally.

For thicker kefir, you can let it ferment a little longer and then strain it through cheesecloth just like you do with yoghurt.

If you decide to go with the grains in a little cloth bag, be aware that it gets really slimey. My friend uses this method and it kind of grosses me out.

Slimy? That's weird. Don't know if I'm ready for slimy. I may start with goats milk and then try coconut or almond. I used to make it with raw cows milk, but we can't use that any more.