Menu

SAT essay

I'd recommend timed essay practice. The essay time is 20 min. DD~15 took the SAT at the beginning of Dec. Somehow we thought the essay portion was optional :confused1: . What were we thinking? This section brought her over-all score down.

Some of the advice I gleened from College Confidential site suggests learning a few historical events in depth that can be applied universally to any prompt. The prompt lends itself to a formulaic five paragraph essay.

This response from College Confidential Forum may be helpful for essay preparation.

I'd recommend timed essay practice. The essay time is 20 min. DD~15 took the SAT at the beginning of Dec. Somehow we thought the essay portion was optional :confused1: . What were we thinking? This section brought her over-all score down.

Some of the advice I gleened from College Confidential site suggests learning a few historical events in depth that can be applied universally to any prompt. The prompt lends itself to a formulaic five paragraph essay.

This response from College Confidential Forum may be helpful for essay preparation.

The above is just fantastic advice. However, it just reiterates to me how important test prep is. I can't believe there are people (including the SAT folks) who say that test prep isn't useful. Moreover, it shows that, with training, you can do well on the essay without being a great writer, so what's the purpose of the test?

Well there are plenty who struggle with putting together a good essay even given an understanding of the task. I know that some of my lit students struggle with paragraphs and essays when they aren't timed.

On the other hand I know kids who did only did one practice essay and were still bringing in scores in the 600s. But they had done a lot of reading and paragraph and essay writing per wtm.

GREAT tips in the College Confidential article Wildiris linked! Thanks!

Just adding to say: here's the link to past SAT prompts so you can practice with "the real deal" (scroll down about 1/3 of the way down the page).

And here's a past thread with more tips on the SAT essay, in case it helps. BEST of luck in testing! Warmest regards, Lori D.