Menu

Vocabulary help...Wordly Wise?

momto2blessings

Anybody like Wordly Wise? I was just getting ready to purchase, but noticed it mentioned a few times on the 'worst homeschool purchases' thread:) I'm looking for something for DD13 and DS10. DS tends to pick up voc. pretty well just from reading (enjoys reading challenging books). DD13 is not as much a reader, and the type to just want to get through her work (but obeys and is diligent:) I don't think her voc. level is what it should be for a 7th grader.

Last year we tried writing down words and def. together and using in sentences. I don't think the words really stuck for long term. The goal was to try and use throughout the week in regular life, but that didn't happen. This year I've been having them write words/def./a sentence for 2 words/day from their readings. I mean to go over the words w/them once a week...but haven't. I'd really prefer them to be independent in this, hence interest in Wordly Wise. But foremost I want what's best! I like the idea of words coming naturally from daily readings, but in reading classic books it seems like a lot of words she chooses are not every day words nowadays. Help, please!!! Blessings, Gina

My DD9 was super bored with it.. The same activities over and over. However, I will say that we did go through it very quickly (2 years worth in 1 school year, 1 lesson per week) and that she probably knew the definitions of all the words already because she is a voracious reader so bear that in mind. She did enjoy the games at the Wordly Wise site and I have thought about looking into the online version but was hesitant to spend the money. . Switched to Vocabulary from Classical Roots and she's not thrilled with that either but at least it makes her think.. lol

My kids like it. It gives them something independent to do. The words are either a review of words they have already come across in their reading or an introduction to words they will encounter in the future. If your children are avid readers I'd go a grade level up, at least.

(Oh, and I don't make them write out the answers to the narrative sections - they do those orally or not at all).

We didn't start until sixth grade, but I think the answers to the narrative at the end of the chapter are the most valuable part of the books. Learning to answer question in a complete sentence is an important skill. As the levels get higher, more extrapolation is required to answer these questions. They are great practice for standardized testing such as ACT and SAT.

I guess buying the book is so you don't have to do the work of teaching them yourself.. Here are all the lists for WW3000 2nd edition in .pdf format. http://www.nestlearning.com/files/PDF/ww3k_word_list-level.pdf

And their actual site is here... http://www.wordlywise3000.com/word_lists/ Choose a book and all the lessons are there along with games you can play that review the words.

Not sure if you have seen the inside of a workbook but they have a small sample at cbd.com I would recommend looking through a couple of different levels to get a feel for what the lessons would be like.. . We used Book 3 and then did Book 4 just online. At that level, IDK about the upper levels, each lesson follows the same format.. Word definitions, a circle-the-right-answer exercise, two more c-t-r-a exercises, a story with comprehension questions after (which my dd hated because she does not like to write so we did them orally which was a tad redundant since we already were doing narration elsewhere.), and then a crossword puzzle or crossword like puzzle. Every week the same.

I have hears it is a very good prep program and I will make sure that my dd knows all the words before she graduates but I doubt I would spend the money on the workbooks again.. although they are pretty cheap if you don't buy the Teacher's one and the tests and all the periphery. I may look into the full (paid subscription) version of it also.. Maybe she would enjoy it more if it was on the computer.

Hope this helps and Good luck=D

I'd say there is great worth in Wordly Wise, especially if you value handing your kids something of high-quality that they can actually do independently (a rare thing, I'm finding). My older girls did several years' worth of WW and are both score very well (99th percentile) on the vocabulary sections of their respective standardized tests annually. I would definitely NOT skip the narrative and comprehension questions - that is the meat of the book. They are forced to think about how to actually utilize the words. Make them answer those questions thoroughly, thoughtfully, and legibly! I'll start DD3 with it this spring or next fall.