Menu

Kindergarten Math Suggestions

imagine.more

So I have a 4 year old who's working ahead in all subjects, especially reading. Essentially this is a K year for him. We started with Miquon Math but honestly I need something that's a bit more 'do the next thing'. I want my kids to have a better math education than I had here in the US but when it comes down to it right now I just want something that will get done, period. DS loves workbooks, not a kinesthetic learner, so there's no need for fun flashy stuff.

I was planning to switch to Singapore Math by 2nd grade or so but I'm afraid it will be a flop like Miquon. Would you say Singapore is a bit more straightforward to implement? What other rigorous curriculums are there out there that are straightforward and simple?

I've been working through the days of interest (to me) for my soon-to-be 4yo in CSMP K level. After that I will either check out MEP Reception or try Miquon. CSMP and MEP are both free for the printing. I usually do one lesson and some worksheets from other workbooks to keep her busy in between working with my two olders. I needed something to tell me what to do next, but not too hands-on because I don't have a dedicated block of time for teaching.

I've found that it depends so much on their handwriting ability.

Both my dd (now 7) and my ds were not at the point where they could do much math (even if they understood the concepts) because of illegibility with numbers. For my ds (5) I have settled on a workbook called Mathematical Reasoning (Beginning 2, but it's one of a series). I didn't like this book for my dd7, but for him, it's perfect. I just open it and we go, and there's very little writing required. Instead, there are many pages where I point and he identifies things, or colours in a shape, or we count things together. He loves it because it's pure one-on-one time with me, and I love it because there's no prep at all - just do the next thing. ;-)

This level of this volume is very basic since he's not too far ahead with math yet, so you'd want to look at a lot of previews to see which level is most appropriate and if the one that works, math-wise, is the right level for him, writing-wise.

Have you looked at any of Rosie's videos at Education Unboxed to help with Miquon?

Singapore Math is very straightforward and simple to implement. I don't see a reason it would be a flop.

You might want to look at MEP also.

Horizons Math is in workbook format. I would recommend viewing samples of it to see if you like it. Whereas SM is in a textbook format, Horizons has numerous topics on each workbook page. For example, SM will have a chapter on each topic that it covers whereas Horizons will have a workbook page with problems covering reading graphs, telling time, word problems, and adding and subtracting numbers.

Like Jay3fer, I really like the Mathematical Reasoning books. They are expensive, so we do them orally so that I can use them with multiple children.

Like Jay3fer, I really like the Mathematical Reasoning books. They are expensive, so we do them orally so that I can use them with multiple children.

Expensive, yes. I got them at HSBC on sale (but it's over now). And I am annoyed because I bought a second one for my older dd and although she loves the fact that it's colourful, it's totally wrong for her AND it drives me crazy. So I got one for the price of two. :-(

Which just goes to prove how different kids can be SO different. No idea how schools cope. Oh, wait - yes, I do have an idea, and that's why I homeschool. :-)))

Singapore Essential Math K is straightforward, do the next thing. It's very easy to use. Book A will go quickly, but it is useful in discussing why you're child makes certain selections. There is often more than one answer. Book B gets a lot harder. I highly recommend using C-rods, especially for missing addend problems.

I used EM K with my middle son last year when he was 4.5-5.5, and this year we made a smooth transition to Singapore 1A. We'll finish it up shortly after or Christmas break and start 1B.

I'm using the upper Singapore levels with my oldest son, and I love Singapore. I didn't â€get†Miquon, even after reading the First Grade Diary, and Rightstart was too many manipulatives and not enough workbook for us. I like a straightforward math that teaches conceptually and includes plenty of mental math. Singapore has been that for us. Adding the C-rods for my middle son made it perfect for him (oldest doesn't use/need manipulatives).

ETA: I'll be using EM K again with my youngest next year when he's 4.

Thanks so much, it's nice to know a few of you who didn't get miquon still liked singapore. This really helps my decision. I think I will get singapore K for DS

Singapore Essential Math K is straightforward, do the next thing. It's very easy to use. Book A will go quickly, but it is useful in discussing why you're child makes certain selections. There is often more than one answer. Book B gets a lot harder. I highly recommend using C-rods, especially for missing addend problems.

I used EM K with my middle son last year when he was 4.5-5.5, and this year we made a smooth transition to Singapore 1A. We'll finish it up shortly after or Christmas break and start 1B.

I'm using the upper Singapore levels with my oldest son, and I love Singapore. I didn't â€get†Miquon, even after reading the First Grade Diary, and Rightstart was too many manipulatives and not enough workbook for us. I like a straightforward math that teaches conceptually and includes plenty of mental math. Singapore has been that for us. Adding the C-rods for my middle son made it perfect for him (oldest doesn't use/need manipulatives).

ETA: I'll be using EM K again with my youngest next year when he's 4.