Menu

Foundations of Western Civilization

Guest rebeccam

Guest rebeccam

Would "Foundations of Wetern Civilization" from The Learning Company be suitable for high school age students? Or is it too advanced for a ninth grader and an eleventh grader?

Foundations of Western Civilization, I believe. (I think this is the one taught by Professor Noble, right?)

A more entertaining set for high school students might be World History: The Fertile Crescent to the American Revolution. Professor Linwood Thompson dresses up in period costumes and uses accents, etc., to engage the kids.

However, Foundations of Western Civilization is also good and would have more depth, I think. I don't think it would be over the head of a ninth grader.

HTH!

I used Foundations of Western Civilization with dc the ages you're talking about, and the difficulty level was just fine. That course is very straightforward and a little on the dry side presentation-wise. My dc tend to prefer the Teaching Company courses that treat a more limited historic period in greater depth, rather than the broad survey courses like Foundations. Once I discovered that preference, I chose 2 or 3 shorter courses that would fit our studies for that year. It worked much better for us, and it ended up costing about the same.

We used Foundations of Western Civilization from the Teaching Company for my dd. She would 2 lectures a week and then she reads along with the appropriate chapter from Spielvogel's Western Civilization text. We discuss the info and I'll test her periodically on the material.

We also try to coordinate her literature study with the history but it is a rigid schedule so she has plentry of time to linger over what she reads.

"The Portable Professor", but I have no experience with those. I'm a big fan of Barnes & Noble and a "card carrying member", so to speak, but I love the Teaching Company.

Here's a link to their webpage on "The Portable Professor". The first one listed looks good, but I've never listened to any of them. However, Peter Kreeft is the professor on that set, and he's great!