Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 12/16-12/22

Negin

I keep losing track of these threads. I started Les Mills Combat with my youngest two. So the first workout is Kickstart and it is only 30 minutes. I did sweat but it wasn't that intense for me, perfect for my kids though and really, we are doing this for them. I have reached the point where I just need to maintain. I don't need to get smaller or anything.

I keep losing track of these threads. I started Les Mills Combat with my youngest two. So the first workout is Kickstart and it is only 30 minutes. I did sweat but it wasn't that intense for me, perfect for my kids though and really, we are doing this for them. I have reached the point where I just need to maintain. I don't need to get smaller or anything.

I'm so curious about the difference between the Beach Body DVDs for Combat and the actual classes. I love the classes. I found that the better I became at the technique aspect and the choreography the more I could work on being more powerful in my movements. I take the class once a week, sometimes twice if I am lucky. I am usually sore in my upper back and hamstrings each time, sometimes I am sore in the shoulders, butt, and arms.

Since you do BJJ I'm sure the Kickstart workout was a piece of cake! I am curious which, if any, of the DVDs is similar to a BodyCombat class. I'm thinking Power Kata, Extreme Cardio Fighter, or Ultimate Warrior's Workout. I am curious about the two HIIT workouts, do they use combat moves but with HIIT?

After you try them all you need to find a live class and let me know the differences! :)

I'm so curious about the difference between the Beach Body DVDs for Combat and the actual classes. I love the classes. I found that the better I became at the technique aspect and the choreography the more I could work on being more powerful in my movements. I take the class once a week, sometimes twice if I am lucky. I am usually sore in my upper back and hamstrings each time, sometimes I am sore in the shoulders, butt, and arms.

Since you do BJJ I'm sure the Kickstart workout was a piece of cake! I am curious which, if any, of the DVDs is similar to a BodyCombat class. I'm thinking Power Kata, Extreme Cardio Fighter, or Ultimate Warrior's Workout. I am curious about the two HIIT workouts, do they use combat moves but with HIIT?

After you try them all you need to find a live class and let me know the differences! :)

I have only done one workout. One of the bonus DVDs I got for being a coach is Live workout (looks like a concert setting). Looks the same as what is studio produced for the home.

Kickstart had jumping front snap kicks. Do you do that in a regular class? I haven't previewed the other DVDs but I am expecting for the HIIT workouts to have switch knees, jumping front snap kicks, and possibly jumping side kicks.

I have only done one workout. One of the bonus DVDs I got for being a coach is Live workout (looks like a concert setting). Looks the same as what is studio produced for the home.

Kickstart had jumping front snap kicks. Do you do that in a regular class? I haven't previewed the other DVDs but I am expecting for the HIIT workouts to have switch knees, jumping front snap kicks, and possibly jumping side kicks.

Yes we do the jumping front snap kicks in some of the releases, but we call them jump kicks. If by switch knees you mean Combat's muay thai knees (single, double, maybe even thirty six) then I wouldn't be surprised to see those. I'd be surprised to see a jumping side kick, I don't think we would ever see one in a class - too dangerous!

I've been trying to remember off the top of my head the tracks in class as each class' tracks are similar in purpose. Here's the list with some of my favorites. Sorry, some are in Spanish but you still get the gist. I've actually used youtube to put together a class when I was a way from home and not able to get to a gym. Even with bad audio, different languages, and some not so great instructors I am still able to get a great workout. It helps that I am already familiar with the specific tracks i choose.

1 - Warmup

2 -

3 - boxing/power training

4 - lower body - lots of kicking (this one has knees, the shoot, capoeira, and the jump kick)

5 - boxing

6 - legs - lots of repeated kicking, lunges, squats, (one of my

)

7 -

- knees, elbows, street brawl, and lots of knees, and more knees

8 - power training/boxing (this is a

, led by one of the choreographers)

9 - abs/pushups

10 - cool down/stretching

Half hour yoga. My hamstrings are super sore and tight right now so I need to stretch them. I also injured myself yesterday doing mat work. I was on my thin mat and wearing sweat pants that have a drawstring and a fat seam that lands right across my lower back. So when I did sit ups and such the seam was digging into my back. I ignored the pain and continued. Mistake. I now have a bruise the size of an orange right in the middle of my lower back that is super painful and sensitive. I can't sit with my back touching the chair or couch. Sigh. My dh has been teasing me about it because I didn't stop when it was hurting. So no work for me that requires being on my back for a bit.

I'm coveting Ballet Body's Periodization program right now.

Yes we do the jumping front snap kicks in some of the releases, but we call them jump kicks. If by switch knees you mean Combat's muay thai knees (single, double, maybe even thirty six) then I wouldn't be surprised to see those. I'd be surprised to see a jumping side kick, I don't think we would ever see one in a class - too dangerous!

I've been trying to remember off the top of my head the tracks in class as each class' tracks are similar in purpose. Here's the list with some of my favorites. Sorry, some are in Spanish but you still get the gist. I've actually used youtube to put together a class when I was a way from home and not able to get to a gym. Even with bad audio, different languages, and some not so great instructors I am still able to get a great workout. It helps that I am already familiar with the specific tracks i choose.

1 - Warmup

2 -

3 - boxing/power training

4 - lower body - lots of kicking (this one has knees, the shoot, capoeira, and the jump kick)

5 - boxing

6 - legs - lots of repeated kicking, lunges, squats, (one of my

)

7 -

- knees, elbows, street brawl, and lots of knees, and more knees

8 - power training/boxing (this is a

, led by one of the choreographers)

9 - abs/pushups

10 - cool down/stretching

Warmup looks a lot like Kickstart. Later tonight my dd and I will do the next one and I will let you know. So far, it looks nearly the same. I have to say the DVD instructors are really good and the combinations are easier to follow that other programs I have tried.

I will view the other links later. Got to get some school done!

In other news, BJJ done last night and it was a doozy! I considered working out this morning but I was moving sooooooo slow. Will have to wait until the evening.

I now have a bruise the size of an orange right in the middle of my lower back that is super painful and sensitive. I can't sit with my back touching the chair or couch.

Yowch.

Three mile run today, nice and easy. No reason, other that the fact that I was up very late last night, and I don't trust my coordination when I'm sleep deprived. I'm planning on an early bedtime tonight, so I should do more miles tomorrow.

Running late this morning. Am about to do a 5-Mile Leslie - my favorite 5-Mile DVD of hers. It's not her normal type - no class and too much chatter - just her alone.

51IGSjonVwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

When you swim is it in a pool or that gorgeous beach across the street?

Normally in our pool just because it's right there. But I do so love the ocean also and plan on going more often. I like the variety. :)

I am sorry to have been AWOL. The new boards format is lovely, but somehow the change has put me off reading/posting as much as I used to! I must adapt!

I *have* been exercising, as I see y'all have been, too! Yay us!!

Sunday: 11 mile long run

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 5 miles easy run

Wednesday: 6 miles intervals run (5 x800m, with 400 m recoveries + wu/cd)

Thursday: 7 miles (5 miles at tentative goal HM pace (9:30 mm) + wu/cd

I think I'll likely run 5 miles tomorrow and/or Saturday.

Happy exercising!!!!