Menu

Where to buy Singapore

mhaddon

I'm not sure how to figure out the differnce. I realize they both teach US measurements, etc. However, why one is better I'm still confused :blush: I've searched and am trying to figure out what to order. Not only what, but where is the best place to buy it online? I was planning on 1A/1B and few other practice books to go along with it...

Thanks!

Just ordered Singapore (Primary Math, 2A) from Rainbow Resource and waiting eagerly for it to arrive. I chose Primary Math over Math in Focus after some deliberation; it looked simpler, less cluttered, more basic. I chose US as opposed to Standards because it was slightly cheaper. Other people may have different criteria, but those were mine. There are some good explanations of the differences, along with other information, here.

p.s. I still have no idea how people on here automatically know you're talking about PM rather than MiF when someone mentions "Singapore" because they're both based on the same country's scope, sequence, methods, etc. But I believe here someone last year suggested I was being stupid for suggesting the term "Singapore math" was ambiguous in light of these two product lines available.

I've been needing to ask this exact same question. So thank-you OP!

Anyone else not think the instructor's guide is necessary at the 1a/1b level?

Also, if I got the textbook, workbook, IP, and CWP, would I just depend on the last two for extra practice, or how do most of you incorporate those? Would you recommend all 4?

Although it is possible to "teach" books 1a and 1b without the HIG, I think there would be a tendency to fall back on presenting the math the way you learned it as a child, which is not likely to be the Asian method. I understood this better after reading the book by Liping Ma that compares math instruction in the United States and China. I realized I was not fully implemented the Asian methodology, and since this is the point of using Singapore Math, I have been more careful to pay attention to the HIG.

For what it is worth, since I am still only on Unit 6 of PM 1, I am VERY glad I have the HIG. That is my personality, though. I am not a very creative or intuitive teacher, so I like having the strategies and suggestions in the HIG. I also agree with pp that this is math taught VERY differently than how I was taught so I appreciate the instructions on how to teach this method. My sister in law is using it without, very successfully. I don't have all the extra practice books, because I thought it would be too much for my son. When he stalls, which happens frequently, we move on to Miquon or MEP for a little change, temporarily. I think he just gets bored of the same approach after 2 weeks. So, I am very glad I didn't just buy more of the same SM. I do plan to do so in the future, however.

I bought mine from Homeschoolclassifieds.com for a great price. There seem to be SM books in great condition on there, frequently.