Menu

Gift for 17yo boy?

Pamela H in Texas

My mom is coming down next month to visit. She is hoping I can tell her what to buy my 17yo ds. I can't!

My daughter told her one thing but it was $5 which my mom doesn't think is "enough."

My ds is NO help. He is like "I don't *need* anything" (well, other than a car) and doesn't really want clothing (he *could* use that).

I don't even know where to look for something for him.

Anything better than iTunes gift cards?

Gift cards are always good: Restaurants, gas, Amazon, iTunes, movie theaters, minutes for cell phone. I wrap them in large boxes, weighed down, if they are for more than $25. If less, I use a gift card box. IOW, big gift = big box: I didn't spend all that $$ for nothing.

Some things my boys are getting are: books, Dr Who screwdriver, Elmo hand puppet (requested), computer memory & wireless card, travel mug, luggage tags, travel money/passport pouch, Christmas ornaments to commemorate the past year, coffee cups, board games, and several specialty Red Sox items.

My boys' interests are Christianity, philosophy, politics, Germany, the Red Sox, reading, computers, and physics. (One of them is to be known henceforth as Elmo Boy.) These interests made it easier to select gifts for them, especially the ones they did not request. Cafe Press is a good place to go to plug in an interest and come up with ideas.

I had this problem, too. The boys didn't know what they wanted for Christmas, probably because their imaginations run to cars, iPhones, video game consoles, and video games. This is the first year of my vow to not buy phones, MP3 players, computers, and game consoles for my kids ever again. Cars were never an option. The boys were stuck in a rut. I got them out of it, but they don't know that yet!

My nephew is 17. His Christmas list this year included:

a couple of video games

dvds of a few movies

a few books (he is collecting the B&N Leatherbound Classics: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?SRT=sa&store=book&sid=577536&view=grid )

a couple of shirts

Other options:

magazine subscription (maybe something like Make ?)

tickets to something (concert, movie passes, etc...)

My 17 year old is getting axe, actually all 3 boys are getting an axe set. My 17 and 19 ds want good headphones, not earbuds. I found some nice skull candy for about $35. DS 17 however, asked for money for it takes him a while to decide whichones he wants.