Menu

Implementing my version of workboxes in the spring...what are you doing?

I have been reading and reading, checking out blogs, pinterest, and threads here about workboxes for over a year! I even purchased metal rolling carts with drawers in the back-to-school sale at JoAnn's in 2011. I have had everything just stuffed in there, two bookshelves overflowing with curricula, and even an 18-gallon Rubbermaid tote with excess curricula! I finally went through it all last night, gave some things away, posted a few things for sale and got things a lot more organized.

Dh is headed to the Law Enforcement Acacdemy in the spring and according to the instructors he won't be around a lot. I need to get it together and am so excited about making some changes to make our day go more smoothly.

What are you changing to make the rest of your school year work for your family?

I'm making another attempt at a version of workboxes too. I don't have space for a load of boxes or even drawers so I'm using two magazine holders for my son - one for his independent work and one for things he does with me. I'm using a crate and hanging file folders for my daughter.

We are also planning to set up a dedicated school area in our living room once the tree comes down.

I've finally found what works well with dd1. After much MUCH experimenting/trying/buying/shelving various methods and curricula, we've settled on what we have now, and it's working great. There are no fights, no fuss, no tears, no complaining, and it's getting done in a reasonable amount of time. She's progressing. Not, perhaps, at the advanced rate of other WTM 2nd graders ;) but well enough for her.

I've finally found what works well with dd1. After much MUCH experimenting/trying/buying/shelving various methods and curricula, we've settled on what we have now, and it's working great. There are no fights, no fuss, no tears, no complaining, and it's getting done in a reasonable amount of time. She's progressing. Not, perhaps, at the advanced rate of other WTM 2nd graders ;) but well enough for her.

What works is important! I think most children, including my own, work at various "grade levels" in various subjects. My only dilemma with this is some outside activities. I really wish everyone would go with age instead of grade levels!

We actually ditched workboxes and went to bookshelf cubbies! :D Workboxes worked great when DS was younger, and DD will use them starting off, too, but they don't work as well for him now.

I still can't get the kid to work AT A TABLE except for composition. He lies or sits on the floor 99% of the time.