Menu

SL Core E with 7 1/2 year old?

LearningMomm

DS will be 8 in March. Our school year starts in January, the original plan was to use the Complete book of US History with lots of other books. The list mainly came from this core anyways (and this past year the list came from Core D).

I really want to just press buy, get all the books in one box with a schedule and notes. I don't want to plan anything but ds really prefers I do. I don't know why but I'm having a hard time getting over the age range but I am. When I talked to an online adviser and they do not recommend it for him either. Really the reading should be right on his level. The biggest thing I've seen mentioned is the Landmark books being to hard but I don't think ds will have a problem with them. If he does we can always use CBUSH instead. We're also doing modern history over 3 semesters so we can take our time.

Anyone have any thoughts? Bad idea or maybe it could work?

Thanks!

I had my son do Core E when he was 11. He's a strong reader and writer. It was perfect for him and we both enjoyed it very much. My opinion is that while he may be ok with the reading level, the topic is advanced. I have had three at that age range (7-8) and I know not one of them would have been able to understand all the conflicts going on during the pre-Civil War, Civil War, and Reconstruction periods of our history. It's just too complex. It is such an interesting time to study, especially with all of those great books! I'd hate for him to miss out on what an awesome study it is because he's a few years too young. Plus, when they're older you can add in more movies, etc, that go along with it that I would never show a child of 7.

Best wishes.

I had my son do Core E when he was 11. He's a strong reader and writer. It was perfect for him and we both enjoyed it very much. My opinion is that while he may be ok with the reading level, the topic is advanced. I have had three at that age range (7-8) and I know not one of them would have been able to understand all the conflicts going on during the pre-Civil War, Civil War, and Reconstruction periods of our history. It's just too complex. It is such an interesting time to study, especially with all of those great books! I'd hate for him to miss out on what an awesome study it is because he's a few years too young. Plus, when they're older you can add in more movies, etc, that go along with it that I would never show a child of 7.

Best wishes.

Agreeing with this. We have done cores A through F. My DS was doing Algebra at 8 and is ready for high school level across the board at 12 but I wouldn't have had him in core E at 7. Yes, he could have read all the books, but reading them at 10 and 11 he got so much more out of them. There were a couple that felt babyish by that stage but very few.

I always think the SL age talk is an interesting one. For me, I have a topic I want to teach during a predetermined time and I decide what to use that year. You are not asking, which core is best, you are asking would core E work for a 7/8 yo. I think for me I tweak a core or program to my needs. I will be using most of core D next year with a 6 and 8 yo. I am using most of core C this year with a 5 and 7 year old. Nw for core D next year I am swapping out the Landmark book for easier reads, and I will take our any books I think would be over there heads. I am not "doing SL" but I am using most of the book list. You said you were using most of the Core E books anyway. I think if you use core E you would just need to adjust your expectations, be willing to sub out a book or two, slow down, maybe not go as deep as you would if your dc were 11. Many say that is a waste and to wait, but I will not be reaching US history when my dc are the "right ages" so we are using what we want of the core now. Yes, the topics are mature but you are coving the time period anyway right? With those books? I just think about it that way. Now if you thought the books were too much that would be a different story. But if you are going to use those books and those topics, why not core E? Just be willing to slow down, skip around, etc.

I always think the SL age talk is an interesting one. For me, I have a topic I want to teach during a predetermined time and I decide what to use that year. You are not asking, which core is best, you are asking would core E work for a 7/8 yo. I think for me I tweak a core or program to my needs. I will be using most of core D next year with a 6 and 8 yo. I am using most of core C this year with a 5 and 7 year old. Nw for core D next year I am swapping out the Landmark book for easier reads, and I will take our any books I think would be over there heads. I am not "doing SL" but I am using most of the book list. You said you were using most of the Core E books anyway. I think if you use core E you would just need to adjust your expectations, be willing to sub out a book or two, slow down, maybe not go as deep as you would if your dc were 11. Many say that is a waste and to wait, but I will not be reaching US history when my dc are the "right ages" so we are using what we want of the core now. Yes, the topics are mature but you are coving the time period anyway right? With those books? I just think about it that way. Now if you thought the books were too much that would be a different story. But if you are going to use those books and those topics, why not core E? Just be willing to slow down, skip around, etc.

That was somewhat my thinking too. We're going to be using the books anyways.. It might not be the perfect age for the core but we're doing Modern History and that's what matches up. He also LOVES history and I'm feeling like I'm not giving/doing enough for him. SL Cores match up pretty perfectly for my history planning (if we start E) for the next few years. It would be so much easier just to actually buy/use the core instead of just using the book list.

I think I'm going to do it. If it's to much we can always just slow down, tweak, etc. I was going to have my older dd read a lot of these books too so it's just so much easier. :)

DD did core 3/4 at age 6 turning 7, and really didn't have a problem with it. There were a few books she just plain didn't like/didn't get into, but she was able to understand and delve more into it than I had expected. I will say that she deemed US history, in comparison with World history, to be "boring".

As always with SL, be ready and willing to tweak-but it's a good spine for advanced readers.

As a long time SL user (over a decade) I think any core can be tweaked or adapted at the top or bottom of the age range a bit. However, I do think that some topics can be better grasped and fully comprehended when you stick with the SL suggested age range, and lean towards the higher end. I rarely tweak SL, because I don't think it's necessary or I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars with them every year.