Menu

Coursera

SunshineMom

Sorry, I forgot to add my question. Is anyone using it with a younger student? How does the coursework differ from other free online classes? I enrolled myself in an Ancient Greek class but as I was looking over all the classes my dd9 was interested in several classes (history, reasoning, animal behavior). If she wanted to do a class, I would do it with her, it would be for fun.

That astronomy class is a bit more intense than I'd expected. I convinced my husband to tag along with me on that one, and while I've done calculus etc in the math dept and physics and chemistry in the last decade...he hasn't. Still, the lectures have been excellent, and they showcase a lot of the "traditional" easily demonstrated but impressive examples of phenomena.

I'm also finishing up the Rice Python class. My 5 year old loves to watch those lectures. She (thankfully) isn't ready to actually do that programming just yet.

I think that many younger children can get a lot out of the lectures even if they aren't able to provide the output a certificate would require.

Same here! I finished both problem sets, but I'm not sure if what I calculated was exactly what they were looking for on some of the questions in 2A. 2B was more straightforward. I was trying to attempt every problem, and I really didn't get a chance to give all the problems as much time as I would have liked. I have two other courses that finish this week, so I'll be happy to be able to devote more time to this class once those are done. Between that and the longer deadlines, I think I'll be able to stick it out!