Menu

Has anyone read The Casual Vacancy?

Unicorn.

Not a bad read, very well written, but.... it's dark. And full of unlikeable characters. Who do lots of nasty and cruel things to each other. Definitely meant for a different audience than her HP books. Not a nice book at all. I second the recommendation to read the reviews on Amazon.

I'm still on the hold list at the library but I've heard it's pretty graphic. Probably not suited for a 14yo. But I haven't read it myself!

Go to Amazon and read the preview. It will give you a good idea of the content. I don't really censor anymore, but I'd try to put dd off. It's not a comfortable read.

Ahh, okay. Thank you both. I hadn't seen or heard anything about it, and wasn't sure if amazon would have enough info for me to base my decision on.

I would NOT allow any 14-year-old of mine to read it, not just because of the disturbing content (rape, pedophilia, drug abuse, child abuse, prostitution, and rather crude discussions of sex) but because of the incredibly dark and bleak manner in which the topics are handled. I honestly wish I hadn't read it myself.