Menu

Minecraft related math, writing, etc.?

My kids are obsessed with minecraft, but we limit their time on it. My son was excited when i mentioned the possibility of "minecraft" math problems, but to be honest, i dont know what i am talking about lol. Three groups of four creepers each enter two valleys to attack you and your brother as you dig for redstone. HOw many creepers are after you? Sad, but that is where i am going withh this.

Ideas? This is for my 7 year old.

Each block is a 1 meter cube, so you could do perimeter, area, and volume problems.

You need to build a wall 10 high to prevent spiders from getting in. How many blocks total will you need if your wall needs to be 8 wide?

Your pig farm has taken off. You started with 2 pigs five days ago and now have 10. At this rate, how many should you have tomorrow?

If you plant 4 rows of sugar cane that are 8 long, how many do you have total?

Oh no! One row of sugar cane didn't have water and died. How many do you have now?

You have 30 arrows to shoot at skeletons, there's a skeleton swarm of 6 coming toward you, how many arrows do you have for each skeleton?

This is kind of fun. My 7yo would love this!

Omgosh give me more! I need to learn more about minecraft, clearly, to be able to do is properly. But i love your ideas! I am going to work on this this week. If anyone has any questions they want to add, post em and i will include them in the worksheet.

Omgosh give me more! I need to learn more about minecraft, clearly, to be able to do is properly. But i love your ideas! I am going to work on this this week. If anyone has any questions they want to add, post em and i will include them in the worksheet.

Our co-op writing teacher overheard a heated discussion between my Minecraft loving son and a boy who is not allowed to play Minecraft (and asserts that he has no interest in it at all). She assigned them both a persuasive paper on why (or why not) someone should play Minecraft. I've never seen ds so driven in writing...

There's a lot of Minecraft related education lesson plans out there. A lot of schools have adopted it. I'll see what I can dig up.

In the meantime, I was throwing some of these questions out to my ds7, who ate it up!

You have 7 blocks in your bag and you just dug up 12 more, how many do you have total?

You have 9 blocks and you need to build a 20 block wall, how many more blocks do you need?

You have a stack of 64 blocks in your bag and you need to divide them up into 8 stacks, how many stacks will you end up with?

They have recipes to craft items that could be more algebraic.

1 stick + 1 charcoal = 4 torches. You have 6 sticks and 4 charcoal, how many torches can you make?

If you are looking for images to make your worksheets, the Minecraft Wiki has them all.

You rock!!

This is a great idea!! I think we might have to do this rather than "regular" math at least for a couple days prior to Christmas break.

I could have my son call you and tell you more about it than you would ever want to know. LOL

I have a boy in my house who will talk my ear off all day long about it if I let him, but I try to avoid it... :tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...

You could do "labs". Give him a build project. Example: build a "house" (or a bridge, tower, ect...) using 34 cobblestone, 12 sandstone, 9 bricks. How many blocks did you use total? Do area- 7 blocks long 3 blocks high 4 walls= how many blocks used? Each "space" holds up to 64(or less) blocks. He can use 1/2 of the cobblestone, 1/3 of the sand stone. how many blocks did he use. Lots of stuff to do while actually building. You could do ratios, averages, 4 operations, fractions. Also learning how to follow directions... Mining- dig down 12 blocks, then dig right 4 blocks. Make a room 6 by 7... how many "Square feet" is your room.

Enemies spawn in darkness. You can calculate how many torches needed for a given room, how far apart they can be placed given a distance from the ground, etc., to prevent bad guy spawning in your castle.

How many blocks do you need to construct a room of a given dimension? Etc.

Enemies spawn in darkness. You can calculate how many torches needed for a given room, how far apart they can be placed given a distance from the ground, etc., to prevent bad guy spawning in your castle.

How many blocks do you need to construct a room of a given dimension? Etc.

This is great! And thank you toi everyone else!!! The boys have this week off from school so I am hoping to find the time to create some worksheets using some of these ideas!!! Will post with links if I actually get it done. Cross fingers LOL

• 2 weeks later...