Menu

Rigorous STEM textbooks

I would appreciate recommendations for STEM textbooks for the high school years. I really don't want to use Apologia, but they seem to have lab materials readily available. I have one child that currently wants to be a scientist (zoology related right now, but astronomy has been a major interest too) and another child who will likely go into a computer related field. I'm apprehensive about the labs since we will be living in a remote part of the world and not have easy access to materials. We will live near animal sanctuaries though. I am starting to stockpile texts and other materials before we move. Please help.

For high school sciences, we are using introductory college texts for non-majors. I find them of better quality than the high school texts.

Texts I have used:

Tarbuck Earth Science

Chaisson Astronomy

Knight, Jones Field College Physics

Chang General Chemistry

Campbell Concepts and Connections for bio.

Other texts that are frequently recommended: Giancoli Physics, Tro or Zumdahl for chem, Campbell Exploring life for a less demanding high school level bio, Miller/Levine (I am not familiar with this).

For labs, I can highly recommend labpaq; they have kits for different sciences. The kits come with all supplies and full instructions.

For math, we are using Art of Problem Solving. It is a great program for my math interested students, but not a good fit for all students.

I tried Apologia Bio & Chem with my oldest, and we didn't care for the approach or the lack of depth. So my next one has used Miller & Levine Biology with the syllabus from Kolbe, and I thought it was a very good course. The Kolbe syllabus comes with lesson plans and tests, which make it easy to use for a parent that doesn't like to make his/her own lesson plans. Kolbe suggests the use of the virtual lab CD, which would obviously travel well. I chose to do labs with materials we had on hand and some specimens from Home Science Tools, but the Labpaq would be a good suggestion for a kit that has everything.

My second used Spectrum Chemistry -- what a great course, and the kit comes with everything you need. The course is heavy on experiments (30 of them), and they helped keep my son's interest and enthusiasm about the topic high. My son will go on to study more advanced chem his senior year of high school with either AP Chemistry (on-line course) or take Chem at the CC.

For a first physics, we used Conceptual Physics in the 8th grade with a syllabus that I made up. My son loved this course. He's taking AP Physics this year with the Giancoli text that Regentrude mentioned in an on-line course. The course uses a Labpaq, which is pretty nice in that it contains a lab manual and everything you need to do the experiments.

Once your kids get into later high school, you could use on-line options (Potter's tends to have classes at unusual times for international folks). Your students might also consider asynchronous coures (like PA Homeschoolers) where the student doesn't have to log onto the class at a particular time.

Best wishes in your travels!

Brenda

Here's a link I got from regentrude that has a schedule plotted out for Chang's General Chemistry used as an honors chemistry class. But if you want more he also uses another Chang text for AP chemistry.

http://www.doctortang.com/

This has helped me quite a bit. The only place I couldn't follow along was labs. For that I bought a labpaq kit. They have many, many to pick from.

You could also use DIVE's lab kit, I think you may be able to buy a print manual from them but since their overall discs are fairly low cost, you might just buy the whole thing and use it for labs.

So I took a look at the labpaq site.

It looks like you have to get an account set up with them first before you can find out what's in a kit or what a kit costs, is that correct?

Does anyone have ballpark figures of what a kit costs or how much material is in one?

(I have the Thames & Kosmos kits in my head that I'm comparing to.)

So I took a look at the labpaq site.

It looks like you have to get an account set up with them first before you can find out what's in a kit or what a kit costs, is that correct?

Does anyone have ballpark figures of what a kit costs or how much material is in one?

(I have the Thames & Kosmos kits in my head that I'm comparing to.)

No, you do not need to have an account. Here is an overview over their chemistry kits:

http://lab.labpaq.co...y-overview-page

Click on the individual lab to see the experiments that are included.

Here are the other subjects:

http://lab.labpaq.com/students-order

I also recommend Regentrude's suggestions, however for astronomy (my ds plans on double majoring in math and physics/astronomy) my ds has really enjoyed the following:

The Cosmos (Alex Filippenko) accompanied w/ Understanding the Universe (the latter are Teach Co lectures)

followed by

THe Cosmic Perspective: The Solar System (Bennett, Donahue)

Both of the above textbooks we found a few yrs ago via Berkley's 1st 2 semesters for astronomy majors. Searching for astronomy depts required texts is a good place to start.

He also has thoroughly enjoyed these lectures from the TC-- Dark Matter, Dark Energy: Dark side of the Universe and Black Holes Explained. He has combined them w/multiple books on dark matter and black holes and a dark matter research project for an independent dark matter study this yr for his 3rd astronomy credit.

He also enjoyed My Favorite Universe just b/c he loves watching this stuff. (He has used his own money to purchase almost all of the physics lectures.......fwiw, he wouldn't recommend Our Night Sky unless the person is more interested in star-gazing than the actual physics of astronomy.)

Another fwiw.....lots of people have recommended the lectures etc w/o any qualification. My ds disagrees. He thinks a basic understand of physics is the minimum required and even w/1semester of college cal physics, he says some of the info is beyond his complete understanding.

HTH

Thanks for the recommendations! They are quite helpful. Does anyone know if labpac is available to ship outside the US? I'm in Canada now, but it seems like some items won't keep so I won't be able to purchase these ahead of time.

Also, I do plan on using AOPS, but I am interested in a back-up plan. What texts would you use if AOPS didn't work for your child/

If my son wanted to go into a computer science field what type of stem classes do colleges want?

Also, do you get a teacher's edition or answer key for these textbooks? Where do you find them?

No, I personally don't. I know physics and don't need one there, and I made sure to study and review chemistry and biology ahead of/alongside DD so I was able to work the problems and evaluate DD's answers. (I learned a whole lot of biology this way, stuff I never learned in school - it was great!)

But I know some people have luck finding solution manuals. Search the forum for a recent thread about Knight's College Physics in which Sebastian detailed her odyssey in obtaining instructor materials.