Menu

Movie editing software/ claymation, etc?

momsuz123

What you need:

- video camera; or digital camera with a video recording card; or for just stop-frame animation, a still digital camera

- a tripod for the camera to hold it still and in one place

- ability to connect the recording device to your computer

- editing software

- a good-sized table that can stay in one place for extended time (once you set up the objects to be animated, if you move either the camera or the objects, you either have to cut to a new angle or scene, or start over as you will have a big jump

- if animating Lego mini-figs -- baseplates are critical to success and ease of animation

I also strongly recommend this wonderfully simple, specific, and kid-friendly book: Attack of the Killer Video Books: Tips and Tricks for Young Directors. It is not about animation, but gives GREAT information on the need for, and how to go about: pre-production, writing a script, storyboarding, simple effects, things to keep in mind while shooting, etc. -- these steps are all CRUCIAL, whether filming a live-action movie or doing animation.

We have a Mac, and DS taught himself very easily how to animate (Legos first and then branched out), and how to edit and add simple post-production special effects with i-Movie. I believe there is also a simple editing program that is Windows-compatible if you have a PC.

Here are some websites with helpful info on getting kids started with animation:

Teaching Ideas: animation ideas

Amazing Kids: animation resources

Specky Boy: Lego animation tutorials and resources

Brick Films: website on all things Lego animation

Wichita Education: claymation made easy resources

Techie Teacher: series of blogs that are teaching lessons on the steps of claymation

Happy filmmaking! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Several months ago, at the last minute, I decided to participate in a contest for FVAP.GOV and made a video for Overseas Americans. My wife had sold our camcorder, so I made a 3 minute video, using our Kodak Digital Still camera. My wife has settled on Windows Movie Maker and she used that to do some editing.

A friend, who worked for 20 or 30 years as an Engineer for a TV station in the USA, looked at the video. He said the video was "near Broadcast quality". The audio had problems, but I believe that would be true, with any camera, where the speaker is not using a microphone connected to the camera with a cable.

I did not win the contest, but it was an interesting experience. BTW, the U.S. Government has frequent contests, where citizens can submit videos, etc. http://challenge.gov...enge.gov/������ GL to your DD.