Menu

Help! I need to bake egg-free/nut-free cupcakes

Cinder

Can I do this with a box mix? If yes, any particular brands? And what's the best egg replacer? I saw a box of egg replacer at the store and it was over $6. Yikes! I think it was Ener-G brand. Is there anything cheaper?

Any safe brands of frosting?

If box mixes aren't safe please share a recipe you love that is egg free.

Thanks for the help!

We're egg and peanut free, and If I were you, I would skip the egg replacer and make wacky cake. It's super easy (and cheap). I make my frosting from scratch, so I can't help you with canned frosting. If you're going to put in chocolate chips, look carefully at the packaging because most are made in peanut facilities. I do a lot of egg free baking, so feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

ETA: If you don't want chocolate, you can make vanilla wacky cake. I could dig up the recipe.

We're egg and peanut free, and If I were you, I would skip the egg replacer and make wacky cake. It's super easy (and cheap). I make my frosting from scratch, so I can't help you with canned frosting. If you're going to put in chocolate chips, look carefully at the packaging because most are made in peanut facilities. I do a lot of egg free baking, so feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Yes, this. I make a version of this (recipe is virtually identical) but know it as Lazy Man's Cake. It's also good with carob instead of cocoa, but don't try to tweak the recipe other than that - I tried for years to make this "healthy" by using some whole grain flour or decreasing the sugar. Nope. But as-is, it's wonderful. It must be some perfect chemical formula.

It does make great cupcakes, too.

You gals are awesome! Wacky cake looks so easy! I'll plan on doing one of these and maybe some other flavor with the flax or applesauce--another easy substitute. I don't need gluten-free; the only allergies in our group are nut and egg. And it will be nice to offer a couple of different flavors.

Thanks again!