Menu

PMS and supplements...

fairfarmhand

My friend's daughter has awful periods. She misses school several times a year and is grey-pale with dark circles and terrible cramping. She's been to the DR. but, really hesitates to put her dd on the pill.

I thought that some people here on the board talked about certain supplements that can help with bad menstrual cycles, but I can't remember specific ones.

Suggestions?

Poor thing! It sounds like she is severely anemic. I'd start her on an iron supplement, Vitex (chasteberry) is also supposed to be very good at regulating/calming cycles. Fish oil (I got high dose gel capsules at Costco) also helped my mood a lot during that time.

For the love of God, GO ON THE PILL! Please, tell her it could literally change her life. I missed a ton of school and had unbelievable cramps. I'd throw up, the whole nine yards. It was miserable. I finally went on the pill when I was 18 and felt like I finally got my life back!

There really is no other solution but misery. I was told I could go to the ER for shots for pain and an IV, but the thing is, once they get bad, they are so bad you can't move, plus you are constantly throwing up.

Honestly, I would tell her mom to have her at least try it for three months and see how it goes. My heart breaks for this girl. I don't wish it on anyone!