Menu

Flying with Epipens and other meds (and snacks) question

lisamarie

We will be flying for the first time in 8 years so I am a bit ignorant about this sort of thing. Can I bring an epipen and inhaler and other Rx meds in my carry-on without a doctor's note?

And can we bring our own snacks and water bottles?

We're flying Delta if that makes any difference.

Yes, as long as the quantity is small-and if there's a prescription label, you're good even for larger quantities.

Snacks are fine, but water bottles can't go through security full (no liquids can without a doctor's note or unless you're traveling with a very small child). You can bring them empty and fill them on the other side, though.

I would get a Dr note on the epi-pen. I think just having a valid prescription would be fine, but with it being a needle, I'm not sure if they'll need something more. When we carried on a bunch of my son's medical formula, we needed a dr note and we got special attention at security (it was a whole case, so I was expecting it).

Snacks are fine, liquids are not (unless they're medical).

Yes, you can bring medications with you in your carry-on luggage without a doctor's note. We flew last October and had to take my son's injectable medication with us in a small cooler bag. When departing from home they asked that either dh or I submit to a patdown and luggage search (carry-on). I volunteered and it was no big deal. They also swiped the outside of the medication with one of those pads that tests for chemicals (or something). On the way home they just tested the outside of the medication, no patdown or luggage search. Our meds could nto go through the xray machine, I believe if they could we would not have had to have the patdown.

Yes, as long as the quantity is small-and if there's a prescription label, you're good even for larger quantities. Snacks are fine, but water bottles can't go through security full (no liquids can without a doctor's note or unless you're traveling with a very small child). You can bring them empty and fill them on the other side, though.
I would get a Dr note on the epi-pen. I think just having a valid prescription would be fine, but with it being a needle, I'm not sure if they'll need something more. When we carried on a bunch of my son's medical formula, we needed a dr note and we got special attention at security (it was a whole case, so I was expecting it). Snacks are fine, liquids are not (unless they're medical).

The medication we took with us did not have a prescription label and it was not a problem. We also carried with us 10 needles and didn't have any problems. The needles were in the cooler bag that dh sent through the xray machine, at this point we were separated. After the bag went through xray they asked dh if they could open the bag, they saw what was inside and dh went on his way. I don't think they even asked him what they were for, I think it was obvious it was for medication and that the bag was for carrying meds.