Menu

Let the cookie baking begin!!!

JFSinIL

OK - I'll see you batch number one of Andes Mint cookies and raise you a Cherry/Almond iced cookie.

I usually bake about 18 different types of cookies. I start with the butter-based ones that freeze well in heavy-duty ziplock bags and Tupperware. I am already getting requests (commands?) for cookie plates from folks locally. It is just what I do.

Lets share any new recipes we find in this thread - I like to try one or two new types each year. If they are good, they go on my "bake" list.

Let the baking begin!

This is my first year baking Christmas cookies that are gluten (and mostly grain) free, dairy free, and refined sugar free. So basically most of the cookies I will bake are new to me:) Here is my Pinterest board of what we probably will make http://pinterest.com/purpleheartwife/12-days-of-christmas-treats/. We are going to start tonight with gingerbread cutouts (not on that board- it is in a cookbook) and bake a different type of cookie each day for the first 12 days of December.

I start with the butter-based ones that freeze well in heavy-duty ziplock bags and Tupperware.

Okay, pretend I don't know anything about freezing anything. (because that's really true!) How on earth can you freeze cookies now that will stay yummy until close to Christmas? What kind of ziploc bag? How many of them? Any kind of airtight freezer container? Are there cookies that freeze better than others? Dd20 would like to bake cookies and candy this year to give as gifts but she's envisioning a whole weekend in the kitchen and last year she chickened out and made only one type of cookie which I think was simple chocolate chip!

Okay, pretend I don't know anything about freezing anything. (because that's really true!) How on earth can you freeze cookies now that will stay yummy until close to Christmas? What kind of ziploc bag? How many of them? Any kind of airtight freezer container? Are there cookies that freeze better than others? Dd20 would like to bake cookies and candy this year to give as gifts but she's envisioning a whole weekend in the kitchen and last year she chickened out and made only one type of cookie which I think was simple chocolate chip!

I haven't found a cookie or candy that doesn't freeze well but I'm sure there are some. Usually I use the large Christmas tins from the dollar store but this year I'm using freezer bags. When we want some we take a few out and let them defrost on the counter.

After the baked cookies have cooled on a rack, and any icing set up, I place them flat in a single layer in a Ziplock freezer bag. A sheet of waxed paper goes over the cookies, and another layer of cookies is placed in the bag. I usually get about 2 - 3 dozen cookies in each bag this way. I seal the bag and use a straw to suck out the last air before closing the last smidgen of ziplock stuff. I kept the bag flat - these cookies are NOT jumbled up together - and carry it downstairs on a cookie tray to rest in the deep freeze. I may also stack the flat bags in a cardboard box (Amazon boxes!) to keep them safe in the freezer, too.

More delicate freezeables go into the bags and also whatever Tupperware/Rubbermaid containers I can spare.

Point is - cool them first, layer them flat with wax paper between the layers so they don't stick together, suck out all the air from the freezer bags, and protect them in the deep freeze.

I make cookies trays with all the cookies straight from the freezer - they start to thaw as the trays and plates are assembled. Meringues etc. that are made last and not frozen get added last.

I've pretty much got this down to a science, now.

This year I'm probably only going to do sugar cookies for DD to cutout and decorate. I might (might!) do my Cinnamon Stars, but I'm just not sure. I don't have all my equipment with me, I don't have access to exactly the same ingredients (for instance, liquid vanilla).

DH will insist I make fruitcake, but that's also going to be difficult due to availability of spices. They may exist here, probably exist here, but I have absolutely no idea what they're called here. Frustrating.

All that to say I'm living vicariously through y'all's baking.