Menu

can someone tell me more about Apple TV?

ProudGrandma

I think it is 100 bucks for ours. U can watch tv obviously. download movies on ur mac and watch it on ur tv. iTunes move, watch regular tv if u pay service.. I think... it also connect to my iPad. So anything on my iPad can be viewed on Apple TV. I don't use it a lot..

You buy it (I don't know how much...maybe $99?) and hook it up to your TV. Then you can rent or buy all kinds of content. Unlike Netflix, no content is free (I realize Netflix isn't free, but since you pay for the Apple Tv box, you still have to pay more for shows).

TV shows, movies, etc.

Some shows are expensive, such as Modern Family. We decided to watch old episodes on Netflix, and then we watch current episodes on Hulu Plus.

The current season of Dr. Who just couldn't be ignored, though, so we bought it. I think it was $35. It might not have cost more than Modern Family, but we can't get Dr. Who on Hulu and we didn't want to wait a year for it to show up on Netflix.

Anything you buy on your Apple TV can be watched on your iPad. We use it a fair amount.

You can watch Netflix or Hulu Plus, and I think the navigation is easier. Podasts - we watch nightly news on ours, it's free. All of your music, movies, shows from the cloud. DS uses it to watch home videos he makes with our iPhones and iPad. We use the photo stream option a lot. We rent videos from itunes.

We don't have cable, only our Apple TV. :)

It's one of my favorite pieces of tech for our home. We use it every day even though our kids rarely watch tv. It's great for YouTube videos (we use it for Khan Academy, documentaries and CC stuff). We use it for netflix and any movies/tv shows that we like not on netflix can be bought on iTunes through it. The version of netflix we have doesn't include actual discs so it's about $96 per year.

If you have a mac, iPad or iPhone you can play any music in your library right through it, so that's how I play SOTW and things like that. We have a big tv and a tiny townhome, so I use this feature a lot. You can find a youTube video, start it playing on your small screen and then send it to the tv. I love that when I want to show the kids some random video about hermit crabs or whatever.

My SIL has even brought hers out to hotels (it's such a tiny box!) and used it there, though it depends on the connections on the TVs and such.

We don't have cable, so for us it has saved hundreds of dollars a year.

One thing- broadcast tv doesn't go through it. You'll need a new enough tv that it has a receiver or if you have cable that's your live tv feed.

You can watch Netflix or Hulu Plus, and I think the navigation is easier. Podasts - we watch nightly news on ours, it's free. All of your music, movies, shows from the cloud. DS uses it to watch home videos he makes with our iPhones and iPad. We use the photo stream option a lot. We rent videos from itunes.

We don't have cable, only our Apple TV. :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about the podcasts- lots of good stuff there!