Menu

Home Remedies for Allergies

Hunter's Moon

Right now, I am between insurances. Therefore, my medication is not covered. I do not want to spend $25 on a 30-day supply of Zyrtec (which is what I usually take by prescription). I finished my allergy meds yesterday, and by the afternoon, I had a really bad sinus headache. It lasted until I went to sleep, and I can feel one coming on again today.

I was able to refill my Flonase prescription cheaply, so I have that. I don't get stuffy nose, just sinus pain.

What are some home remedies that will help relieve/prevent the pain?

Unfortunately, our two cats don't help :glare:

I can't believe your insurance covered Zyrtec! Once Claritin went OTC my insurance company stopped covering all allergy meds. That was years ago. I have found that around here Target has the cheapest generic Claritin around. I think they also have generic Zyrtec but it is slightly more expensive than the Claritin. Once the Zyrtec (or whatever it is) gets as cheap as the Claritin I will switch to that because it works a teensy bit better for me.

Do you have a Costco near you? I got generic Zyrtec there this spring and it was something like 365 tablets for $18.

Dh has lots of sinus/allergy issues and has the best success with regular (nightly) use of a netipot whether or not he currently has symptoms.

100% :iagree:

I buy zyrtec at costco and neti pots can help quite a bit.

I have recently heard the suggestion of taking a small amount of honey daily from your local area (50 miles perhaps?). Apparently it exposes you to small amounts of whatever pollens, etc. that you live amongst.

This does work. DS13 has seasonal allergies and has been off of meds. for several years. I mix local honey with raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar and he takes it by the spoonful daily. I also have Nettles and Eyebright tincture that he takes whenever he feels like he needs a boost. A Neti Pot works wonders, too, though I haven't been able to successfully get him to use one yet.

I have recently heard the suggestion of taking a small amount of honey daily from your local area (50 miles perhaps?). Apparently it exposes you to small amounts of whatever pollens, etc. that you live amongst. You can google for more info, but multiple people that I know have tried this with success.

Good luck!

:iagree:

Thanks for the replies :)

Yesterday was not too bad. I will see how it continues, and if I feel worse more days than not, I'll head over to Costco and see about their Zyrtec.

I was using a Neti Pot for a few months after septal/sinus surgery but I stopped. I should get started again. I was using filtered water from the store in the Neti Pot, but I would always rinse it with tap water. Is there a safer way to clean it? Would boiling tap water be just as safe as the filtered?

Thanks.

I have recently heard the suggestion of taking a small amount of honey daily from your local area (50 miles perhaps?). Apparently it exposes you to small amounts of whatever pollens, etc. that you live amongst. You can google for more info, but multiple people that I know have tried this with success.

Good luck!

Interesting, I'll have to check out the local honey scene around here.

This does work. DS13 has seasonal allergies and has been off of meds. for several years. I mix local honey with raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar and he takes it by the spoonful daily. I also have Nettles and Eyebright tincture that he takes whenever he feels like he needs a boost. A Neti Pot works wonders, too, though I haven't been able to successfully get him to use one yet.

I actually drink three T of ACV a day for reflux. I'll check into the honey, though.