Menu

Just a vent

thescrappyhomeschooler

Two little shopping plazas near my house were recently torn down. They contained small, privately owned businesses for the most part, like a kosher chicken restaurant and a small oriental rug shop, and other small businesses and restaurants. There was also a national chain tutoring center and a big, but local chain drugstore. They knocked all that stuff down and replaced them with McDonald's, Chipotle, Bob Evans, Five Guys, Panera, etc. The same old stuff you see in every. other. shopping. center. in the state. Why? What is wrong with a little individuality and character? I'm so tired of the chain stuff everywhere.

Vent, Part Deux:

There is a shopping center in walking distance to my house. It had a large chain pet store that my kids used to love to walk to and look around. There was a Panera next to it, as well. We would walk up there, look at the fish and hamsters, and eat at Panera, which is one of the two fast food places I will go (Chipotle is the other). The pet store closed a couple years agoi, which was a major bummer for all of us. And today, my son wanted to get some mac & cheese from Panera as a special treat, and we drove there after errands, and it's now closed to move into the monstrosity shopping center that I mentioned in the above paragraph. While it's still relatively close, it's not walkable from my house. I am majorly upset. That was one of our favorite spring/summer activities- walking up to Panera.

It is sad that the present economical state forces some businesses out so fast food places, which are relatively cheap, can thrive. Of course "cheap" food is not cheap in the long run but that is another thread.

What's even more sad is when businesses that have been around for generations are closing up. We have seen that happening around here.