Menu

Not digging Landmark History in SL?! Suggestions?

Murrayshire

This year for my 4th grader we have been using Sonlight Core 3(D) for American History. She enjoys the readers a lot but the Landmark book is quite hard to swallow....we of course read it as a RA but I feel she is not getting it. I need something more basic for a start in American History..... I have the Complete Book of American History, USA workbooks from SL, DK American History Encyclopedia, and tons of reading books from Sonlight and used book stores.

Has anyone used these books together that I have suggested? If so, did it give them a solid base of American History for Elementary.....

I really want to do a full sweep of American History with my 4th grader, and was hoping to have my 1st grader listen in, before starting SOTW 1 for her 5th grade year and for my 2nd grader.

We use notebookingpages.com to notebook everything we read.....we cook our way through American History......timeline, mapping, and on Friday's we study our NC state history while creating a NC Notebook.

Can anyone give some much needed advice or just give me a pat on the back that it's OK!!?

Thank you Hive!

It's ok! Did you read the notes? Some people kind of skim through it until a certain point (chapter 33 or something like that?), and then it supposedly gets easier - there is a note in the IG where it says that if you haven't been reading it before then, you need to start now. We're still toward the beginning (week 14), and DS1 and I like it, but I know that that's not the norm for a child his age. :)

How many chapters have you read so far? Have you tried readnig it yourself and just summarizing it for your DD? There are some interesting tidbits in there, but yes, it's very wordy. Really though, most of the important info is covered via the other books.

We did A LOT of supplementing. My DS and I enjoyed the Landmark book but most of it went right past DD. She was at the young end of the core and he was in the mid-range agewise. One book she really enjoyed was

518JYEBKGNL._AA160_.jpg

The American Story: 100 True Tales from American History by Jennifer Armstrong and Roger Roth

Honestly, there is a ton of overlap from one source to the next. I think it sounds like you have it covered =)

We used the SL3 and 4 books and did NOT care for the Landmark. For that, we substituted the Complete Book of US History, a series of books from the library on the different presidents (I think it was the older "Our Presidents series" -- it was at about a 3rd-4th grade reading level), and some of the Cornerstones of Freedom books for more info on specific major events in US History. Along with the many wonderful SL3 and 4 books, that worked great for us!

Sounds like you have MORE than enough to cover you, so feel free to drop the Landmark! Enjoy your journey together through U.S. History! Warmest regards, Lori D.

It's ok! Did you read the notes? Some people kind of skim through it until a certain point (chapter 33 or something like that?), and then it supposedly gets easier - there is a note in the IG where it says that if you haven't been reading it before then, you need to start now. We're still toward the beginning (week 14), and DS1 and I like it, but I know that that's not the norm for a child his age. :)

How many chapters have you read so far? Have you tried readnig it yourself and just summarizing it for your DD? There are some interesting tidbits in there, but yes, it's very wordy. Really though, most of the important info is covered via the other books.

We are only on Chapter 6! I don't like quitting on books but I don't want my dd to start dreading history, either....... It may have to be a read for myself...and like you said, just summarize it for her.

Thank you for your help!