Menu

A Social Media degree??

Austin Community College in Texas, is offering a degree in "Social Media." I am not sure what I think of this yet, but I lean towards it being silly. The report I heard on the radio said the courswork would mostly be about learning to write. Don't we already have degrees with that focus? Apparently, there is a special skill set needed for writing on FB and Twitter. :/

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/ACC-offering-social-media-degree

So it's basically a marketing degree - I guess "social media" just sounds more modern.

That's what I was thinking. My DH is a PhD scientist, and does some marketing as part of his job. He's had to read and learn a lot about using social media in terms of marketing, since he is foremost a scientist, and marketing is one part of his professional duties. We don't even have FB accounts of our own, LOL. So his co. now tweets, blogs, has a presence on FB, etc. I could see it being a useful 2nd degree for some fields too.

• 2 months later...

Pace University offers a MS degree in social media they say you will learn specialized skills enabling you to do the following:

• Communicate effectively using appropriate digital marketing terms
  • Segment and target markets for social media and mobile strategies
  • Examine the advertising industry and understand the interaction of key media elements
  • Plan effective strategies for integrated communications using traditional and new media
  • Integrate digital campaign strategy with firm objectives, brand strategy, and media plans
  • Develop campaign strategies for firms and recommend appropriate implementation
  • Track and measure campaigns using various metrics and techniques for communications evaluation