Menu

Not a STEM student, will this work?

DD(15yo, 10th grade) is so not a STEM student. She has been struggling in math for the last 2 years. And chemistry this year is starting to throw her for a loop. DH and I talked last night after looking at the local large state uni:

Four (4) Course Units of Mathematics

Including algebra I, geometry, algebra II, and a fourth mathematics course for which algebra II was the prerequisite (typically, this may include pre-calculus, advanced functions and modeling, discrete math, college algebra, an AP- or IB-level calculus or statistics course, etc.).

Three (3) Course Units of Science

Including at least one course unit of a physical or chemical science (chemistry, physics, physical science, etc.), and one course unit of a life or biological science (biology, oceanography, anatomy and physiology, etc.). At least one course unit must contain a laboratory portion.

She is in Algebra 2 now. If I nurse her through geometry next year and then she does precalc at the CC. She's taken biology and now chemistry. I think a local co-op is offering earth or environmental science and then also anatomy. She'll be good right? But will it be college prep?

I want to cover all the bases but we are really looking at cooking school for this one. She loves loves loves to cook. We've talked with 2 people who are chefs now and went to different in state schools. They gave us great advice for where to go from here but not what classes to take. One of them was horrible in math and just made it through with the help of the school tutors but still had to take one class twice. I don't see any specific course requirements at Johnson and Wales, the close 4 yr cooking school so I can't use that list to tailor what we do.

I think environmental science would be fine. Another science elective you might look into is nutrition. She also might enjoy finishing off chemistry by looking at some of the units from OCW's Kitchen Chemistry class.

For math, precalc at the CC might be extremely challenging if she struggles in math. It moves a lot faster at the CC than at a high school. I would suggest that for someone who's looking at a culinary career (or a non-STEM career in general) statistics might be more useful and hopefully transferrable -- check with receiving schools -- but I see far more situations in everyday life or in non-technical careers where some understanding of statistics would be useful than situations where some understanding of trigonometry would be useful.

I think environmental science would be fine. Another science elective you might look into is nutrition. She also might enjoy finishing off chemistry by looking at some of the units from OCW's Kitchen Chemistry class.

For math, precalc at the CC might be extremely challenging if she struggles in math. It moves a lot faster at the CC than at a high school. I would suggest that for someone who's looking at a culinary career (or a non-STEM career in general) statistics might be more useful and hopefully transferrable -- check with receiving schools -- but I see far more situations in everyday life or in non-technical careers where some understanding of statistics would be useful than situations where some understanding of trigonometry would be useful.

Are there options for business math and/or accounting that would meet the math requirement?

She's taken biology and now chemistry. I think a local co-op is offering earth or environmental science and then also anatomy. She'll be good right? But will it be college prep?

Environmental science can certainly be taught at the college prep level. Does the co-op know what books they are using and how the class will be designed? There is also an AP exam, you could pull a sample syllabus from the College Board web site for comparison & to get ideas if you think you need to beef it up.

I wonder if you could work out a nutrition/fitness/anatomy class for her? The three are linked together so strongly. Maybe do anatomy and exercise

physiology together to make a unique course. Landry Academy had an online Exercise Physiology course last year - maybe they'll have it this year.

Environmental science can certainly be taught at the college prep level. Does the co-op know what books they are using and how the class will be designed? There is also an AP exam, you could pull a sample syllabus from the College Board web site for comparison & to get ideas if you think you need to beef it up.

I wonder if you could work out a nutrition/fitness/anatomy class for her? The three are linked together so strongly. Maybe do anatomy and exercise

physiology together to make a unique course. Landry Academy had an online Exercise Physiology course last year - maybe they'll have it this year.

The co-op I'm talking about here is HARC. Another friend at tennis told me they'd have them both next year. The environmental/earth science would be honors. Older dd did Anatomy at HARC and enjoyed it.

Exercise Phys would work nicely as well. She did a nutrition class at SEEK last year. But it goes on her transcript as part of a PE credit (health+ a sport=PE for my kids)

They seem to have 2 options for precalc down here at the CC. One is 1 semester and quite fast. The other is 2 semesters and it's where I would put her. With a math major dad to help her, getting math out of the way at home would be a big help at college if she ends up not at cooking school.

Are there options for business math and/or accounting that would meet the math requirement?

I wonder about the wording - "a fourth mathematics course for which algebra II was the prerequisite". Would business math or accounting work for that? I was wondering about stats or probability. DH thinks those would go over like a ton of bricks.

I wonder about the wording - "a fourth mathematics course for which algebra II was the prerequisite". Would business math or accounting work for that? I was wondering about stats or probability. DH thinks those would go over like a ton of bricks.

No, business math and accounting would not count. I'm not sure about the statistics. My college statistics courses were all taught in the business department. What about counting & probability?

For math I'd do statistics and I'd not look for an AP level class but find one that is fairly practical. Having done stat, I can tell you for a weak student the smallest amount on probability is the way to go. The deeper you get into probability the more theoretical and difficult it can be so look for a short chapter on probability and then a move to various tests.

Have your thought about contacting Johnson and Wales and asking what they'd like to see? They may have suggestions.

I talked with them when they were at the homeschool conference. But that was at the beginning of the math struggles so it wasn't an issue yet. I remember they said they'd like to see anatomy at the time. But you are right, if they are our target, talking with them would be the way to go.

The reason I suggested it is because, often, what one finds on a website is the generic or basic version of what a school wants to see. Once you can get more specific with a major, suggestions can also get more specific. They may have science suggestions they have found to be helpful (as are some listed on this board). Plus, since cooking is not a math heavy field, they are likely to accept different courses than they would for another major. Likely doesn't make it true though. Asking is the main way to know.