Menu

Crochet Experts: I want to crochet a thick blanket

What is the "fattest" yarn I could buy and still have something that looks like a blanket?

I am thinking simple double crochet all the way, preferably with a multi-colored yarn.

Please provide me the letter or size number for the crochet hook with your recommendation! :confused1:

I am heading to Michael's today.

I own all hook sizes up to "J" which is 5.00mm but nothing larger.

I use two strands of yarn when I want a thicker blanket. That gives me a lot more flexibility because I'm not limited to just a few types of yarn. I use at least a J hook because I crochet tightly. I don't really like the look of blankets that are just double crocheted. A simple variation is to alternate between single crochet and double crochet. One double crochet, then one single, then one double... repeated down the first chain, then turn and double crochet in the single crochets and do singles in the double crochets until the blanket is the size you want.

Not an expert by any means, but if you are wanting a thick dense stitch...I am making a blanket alternating single crochet, double crochet, single crochet (put a single crochet into a double crochet, and a double into a single)I really like it. There are no holes in between stitches. I think the original pattern called for a K hook, but I had already finished four rows before I realized it, so I kept the J hook.

I use two strands of yarn when I want a thicker blanket. That gives me a lot more flexibility because I'm not limited to just a few types of yarn. I use at least a J hook because I crochet tightly. I don't really like the look of blankets that are just double crocheted. A simple variation is to alternate between single crochet and double crochet. One double crochet, then one single, then one double... repeated down the first chain, then turn and double crochet in the single crochets and do singles in the double crochets until the blanket is the size you want.

This sounds great. I was just thinking that I should make my youngest a blanket but I really don't like holes in the typical crochet blankets. Double or tripling the yarn is also a great idea.