Menu

Heated socks? Raynaud's?

I have mild Raynaud's that affects my toes worse than my fingers and I'm not looking forward to the winter. I wear mittens for my hands and can keep them from freezing by massage and swinging my arms and such... but how can I prevent the pain and discoloration and pins and needles in my feet? Has anyone tried heated socks? Insoles? Thoughts?

I'm bumping this up for you because I also hope someone has answers. My mom and sister both have Raynaud's. I haven't actually developed it, but my hands and feet are always cold. I can often ignore my hands being cold, but not my feet. I wear socks and slippers together, but it's not enough.

I recommend switching to wool socks for everyday use!

Smartwool is a great brand...they are soft (not scratchy wool) and they come in sizes...so you don't have a big clump of extra sock in the tip of your shoe. They are sold online and in many sporting goods stores.

I love Smartwool--they are all I wear. But I'm wearing a heavy pair now with lambsfleece and wool slippers, and my feet are still cold.

I love Smartwool too, unfortunately it's not enough for my toes outside in the winter. Maybe I need to wear winter boots, even when it's not snowing? With smartwool in my regular Keen shoes, my toes are either painful or numb. I'm just tempted by the idea of heated socks. Maybe I'll give them a try and report back. I do stick those handwarmers in my ski boots when I ski, but they tend to be really bulky and I worry that they may get too warm and I won't notice (I also have some peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet and I worry that I'll get blisters or burn myself and not notice.) I only have real trouble in the winter, so I kind of conveniently forget about this problem until the temperature drops...

I have issues keeping my feet warm too!! I must wear diabetic socks, I can actually wear less thick socks since I now get better circulation to my feet, so think about if your socks are too tight, Next you can make those rice/microwave things for your socks. Make a velcro pocket on top and put a heated pack in the pocket. They also make these great chemical packs that can be re-used, they have a metal tab that does "something" to the salt mixture and makes it warm, then you heat it and re-use (I gave these to my mother mail carrier for Christmas last year).

I have a pair of house shoes that have the rice/microwave pockets on the bottom, but I think the top on the shoe would be better.

I recommend switching to wool socks for everyday use!

Smartwool is a great brand...they are soft (not scratchy wool) and they come in sizes...so you don't have a big clump of extra sock in the tip of your shoe. They are sold online and in many sporting goods stores.

For both fingers and toes, I have found that wool works the best. I second the suggestion for Smartwool socks as they don't chafe and you can even get dress socks. Driving in the winter months can be very painful and the best solution I have found is a pair of leather gloves with a cashmere lining.

I am pretty certain I have Raynauds. My doctor is terribly unhelpful and just says I should move somewhere warmer. I found that wearing very long slipper boots helps some. Mid calf is about as short as I go. I also buy ones that are very thick, usually lined with wool or fleece. Camping/outdoor shops often do really thick long slippers. Also I have noticed that when my feet get get stubbornly cold it helps to just change my socks. Something about the fabric getting saturated with moisture I suspect. I keep my socks in the airing cupboard so they are warm and wear wool or walking socks. Silver socks are supposed to help but I haven't personally tried them.